Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stainless beach scoop bent, welder's advice needed

I bought a long handled stainless steel beach scoop a couple years back and somehow managed to dent the back of the basket to the point where the end of a few squares in the mesh wire popped. Still functional but would love to get it fixed, I figure for the price I paid for this scoop it would be worth it. My question is, can stainless steel be heated, reshaped and welded?? Arc weld or tig??? I'm not a welder so not too sure.

Attachments

• rsz_scoop_002.JPG
    rsz_scoop_002.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 104
  • rsz_scoop_003.JPG
    rsz_scoop_003.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 105
  • rsz_scoop_005.JPG
    rsz_scoop_005.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 108
  • rsz_scoop_007.JPG
    rsz_scoop_007.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Pa_Dirtfisher

Sep 28, 2014
Mercer County
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Safari. Whites TRX pin pointer and Deteknix pin pointer, Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stainless can be reworked and re-welded. If you don't have the equipment your best bet is to just take it to a local fab shop. sounds like a fairly easy repair from your description I can't see you being charged more then $20.

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks PA, actually the place where I bought this online said he would be happy to repair it free of charge but this sucker has some weight to it and by the time I 'm done paying for shipping from CT to California I'd be spending half or more of it's value in shipping costs. I do have a local welding shop nearby I will stop by and see what they think. Actually, while I'm at it, I am wondering if it would be a good idea to add more braces to the backside, where it takes the brunt of the pressure from rocks and such. You can see the one brace in the top left photo

Last edited:

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree any fabrication shop should be able to mig weld that and fix it right up for you.

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dropped it off at the welders shop today, also having them weld 2 more braces on the backside for extra support. $25.00 out the door.

Pa_Dirtfisher

Sep 28, 2014
Mercer County
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Safari. Whites TRX pin pointer and Deteknix pin pointer, Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal, glad I could help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread