Stainless Steel Question

pinebarrens1

Dec 20, 2007
bayville nj
Detector(s) used
minelab xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i buy the stuff all the time . pots , pans silverware . and scrap it all ..............i also buy and sell boat shafts ...all stainless

dumpdigger

Nov 30, 2008
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XLT, Vaquero & Fisher 1280
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tubs in good washing machines and dish washers are a good source of stainless also. Some of the sprayers in dishwashers are stainless too along with some of the trim.

OP
OP
alexfm123

alexfm123

Nov 17, 2009
Far West Texas
How much are the scrap yards paying for stainless where you guys are? Im gonna call my local yards tomorrow morning and see what they say. I got about 15lbs of aluminum cans and some other stuff to sell.

dumpdigger

Nov 30, 2008
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last stainless I sold was 45 cents a pound. That was in late October. If you sell some I would like the know the price. I am in Kansas

TURNMASTER

Oct 13, 2009
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705, Explorer SE, & At Pro
It helps if you know what type of SS you have.
300 series is non magnetic (or has very litle magnetism)
400 sreies is magnetic and holds no more value than steel
Precipitation Hardened is magnetic but pays like 300 series (17-4, 18-8, 15-5 and others are PH)

Again seperate and group like metals. Cook wares should all be similar grades (I believe they are PH)
Clean it, get rid of the plastic.

Jeff

dumpdigger

Nov 30, 2008
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The yards I sell to don't seperate the grades of stainless. They just have one rate. They might seperate after I leave I don't know. I hadn't thought about some motors being better than others. I will push that issue next time I sell some and see what happens. Thanks for the tips.

Rumblebelly

Jan 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
(RS)Discovery 2000, white's bullseye, NEW DFX!!!
as far as SS pots I usually get between $1 - $5.00 per pot/pan depending on size, condition, and especially if they have the lids.

most utensils are just nickel plated steel and worth only steel pricing.

The most common types of Stainless out there is 304SS & 316SS

304 is a lesser grade and is not magnetic. Most good cookware and restaurant appliances are this grade. Also some of this is in faucets and is considered "investment cast Stainless" I usually keep it with the 304. Also flexible metal hoses from the natural gas lines of ovens are 304SS.

right now 304SS is about .40 cents per pound. This is low right now. I would hold it if you have the room or don't need the cash right away. When times were good 304SS was over $1.00 per pound

now 316SS is a higher nickel content blend. It also commands a higher price, usually .10 to .20 cents more a pound. Again when times were good this was up to $1.60 per pound. If your yard does not have a separate rate then see if another one does, if it's close and you have enough. Items made with 316SS or 316L are usually stamped with a 316 somewhere one the part. Industrial and instrumentation fittings, valves, flanges, and tubing. Most home used products are not 316$$

for some utensils and plating ... make sure it's not silver!

I don't run into much 17-4SS or the other types. Some times cylinder rods are 17-4ph SS though.

hope this helps. I go through a lot of stainless.
happy hunting

Rumblebelly

dumpdigger

Nov 30, 2008
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much a pound are these elements worth? It is an unknown area to me.

TURNMASTER

Oct 13, 2009
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
I agree with Rumblebelly, If your yard does not have a separate rate then see if another one does.

At the machine shop I work for we had to educate our prefered scrap dealer as to the prices and composition of the different grades of SS. They PU and handle our containers so we like them and now we make more on scrap and so do they.

Did not know that about elements.

Jeff

TURNMASTER

Oct 13, 2009
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
pepperj,

I agree to a point. We do 30 to 50, 55gal drums per week in chips plus a fair volume of solids. Where we ran into the issues were in the PH stainless steels. These guys were not getting their dollars on them either. We also do 2 to 5 6x6ft 3ft dp containers of alum chip per week.

No this group had to be educated, at the same time we had to train our own people in the difference of value, metal to metal, both chip vrs solids. Man we sere loosing a ton of money.

Some people are lucky, but for most, education is the only way to profit.
Jeff

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just sold a load of scrap

alu cans .57 lb
copper 2.67 lb
scrap metal $160 a ton

prices is going up. A lot better then last Nov whn I sold the last time.....Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread