Sep 21, 2010
gloucester
Detector(s) used
tesoro and lazers
lynberg stamp (Small).jpg

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA
The bi-plane stamp is in the scott stamp catalogue, it is a dominican republic "special delivery" stamp from 1920, the catalog number is E1.
The red stamp is a dominican republic regular issue from the 1920's. There are a few different versions, so I'm not sure which one it is.
Both of these stamps seem authentic, but I'm not an expert. Their value is only a few dollars US.

The real value is in the "cover" and the cancellations. I don't collect flight covers, but there are many people who do. I've sold some first flight covers before on eBay and they brought in a fair amount of money.

Perhaps you were asking about the cancellations instead of the actual stamps? It appears that there are some blue cancel's of this cover on eBay, are your cancels done in black ink? There should be a catalog of flight covers that you can reference. There are a ton of fakes for sale on eBay, so, no telling. Your's might be the authentic one, or perhaps the person doing the covers swapped ink at some point. (unlikely???)
1928 Dominican Republic First Flight Cover to Cuba Lindberg Special | eBay

It would be pretty easy for someone to take a $3 worth of stamps, but them on an old envelope, stamp them, then sell it for $70+

OP
OP
noble

noble

Sep 21, 2010
gloucester
Detector(s) used
tesoro and lazers
the ink on my letter is black actually its in a big frame with a picture of lynberg with the plane and when you compare the one in the link you sent mine goes through the name in the address the one in the link is above the address and is blue ink as i said its in a frame so i cant see the back of the envelope DEREK

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This cover was part of an official air mail shipment Lindbergh flew on his Spirit of St. Louis, from Santo Domingo, in the Dominican Republic, to Havana, Cuba. Upon his return to the U.S., following those Caribbean flights, the Spirit of St. Louis was retired forever, and put on permanent exhibition in Washington D.C.’s Smithsonian Institution, never to fly again.

Lindbergh pioneered new routes around the Caribbean in early 1928, as Technical Advisor to the President of Pan American, and the only routes flown in that stint were Santo Domingo to Port-Au-Prince, Haiti; Santo Domingo to Havana; and Port-Au-Prince to Havana.

The cover is addressed to B.L Rowe (Basil Rowe), Lindbergh’s fellow pilot, who piloted an accompanying plane on these Caribbean air mail routes. The cachet stamp is in Spanish, and says “First Air Mail from Santo Domingo to Havana – Special Flight for Lindbergh with The Spirit of St. Louis”. The cover is addressed to Rowe, c/o Lawrence A. Colman, at Manzana de Gomez 343, in Havana, Cuba.

The two stamps, one 2 cent and one 10 cent stamp, are both from the Dominican Republic, both having been cancelled by the postmaster.
Matthew Couris wrote the above on another site in 2006; you might attempt to find him today for more information-- through this site:
Charles Lindbergh Discussion Center: I have a Lindbergh air mail cover from Feb. 6, 1928
Don.......

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA
the ink on my letter is black actually its in a big frame with a picture of lynberg with the plane and when you compare the one in the link you sent mine goes through the name in the address the one in the link is above the address and is blue ink as i said its in a frame so i cant see the back of the envelope DEREK
These are hand stamped, so placement will vary from envelope to envelope. The color of the ink though should be the same in my opinion, but it could be possible that your ink has faded to black. There is a second picture on that eBay listing with the back cover and you can zoom in to see details.

I think that it is almost guaranteed that there will be fakes. Do you have any provenance? Other than being able to track the cover's ownership, getting it professional appraised would be the way to go. Check this out:
Daniel F. Kelleher Auctions, LLC The pair realized $1,500, but the condition is much, much better than your copy, which is showing water damage. Note that there is a note about this bag of mail being damaged with water in mackaydon's link, so +1 to the authentic column?

BTW, with a value of only a $100 or less, professional appraisal isn't generally worth it.. The lower price is due to the condition issues.

OP
OP
noble

noble

Sep 21, 2010
gloucester
Detector(s) used
tesoro and lazers
hi FC i dont think its water damage it looks like it is a shadow as the envelope is inside a plastic cover behind the glass in the picture frame anyway thankyou for all the information but i wouldnt know where to go to get it authenticated DEREK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread