Started the year with a bang, first trip of 07 yeilds Barber.

musclecar

Oct 15, 2006
Nampa Idaho
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Me and my dad went out to the lake today. Nothing special for a while, just those antique fishing weights, and LOTs of them (about 10 lbs between us). Found an old silver plate fork, labeled Arion, seven golf balls, a small lure and and some cheap sunglasses (not pictured).

About 4 hours into the hunt, I found a corroded wheatie (1958), then Dad came nonchalantly walking over to me, and showed me his mercury dime (1944s). That got our enthusiasm up a couple of notches! Then he found a 3 wheaties within 2 feet of the merc.

We decided to move a bit, and found a place with TONS of pulltabs and bottlecaps. After swinging there for a bit, and getting bored, I found a place with few signals, and then got a reading of 88 or so, on my MXT. I dug about 2 inches and there was this black token looking thing. I picked it up and saw BARBER! That is what it is all about! My first Barber 1908 O, a half no less! I said, "lets go home, can't top this today". NOT!@@!

Anyway, we had a great first outing for 2007 (on top of the world tonight!) Enjoy the pics ;D

HH
MC

Attachments

• 21107-1.jpg
    21107-1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 837
  • 21107-2.jpg
    21107-2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 838
  • 21107-3.jpg
    21107-3.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 829
  • 21107-4.jpg
    21107-4.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 819
  • 21107-5.jpg
    21107-5.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 827
  • 21107-6.jpg
    21107-6.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 826
  • 21107-7.jpg
    21107-7.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 828
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the nice comments ;D. I will answer a few questions,,,,, The rifle cartridge is a "frontier 308 Winchester, the handgun load is WRACO (Winchester Repeating Arms Co.) LDA .41 caliber. The dime,,,,is a play money, plastic dime I found on the surface, and broke it when I kicked a rock on it, man I feel horrible about that, lol.

And, yes, pulling that Barber out of the ground was a fantastic feeling! Still high on that!

Follow up: We went out again today for about 4 hours, and Dad found a buffalo nickel, 1918D, and a sterling ring, and 1 wheatie. I found some old paper shotgun shells, one is an "American Eagle" 12 ga. I also found a womens watch, modern "Fossil". We will be hitting that area again soon, and hard.

MC

Wow, you two had some great hunting days. Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeee Barber Half, what a great way to start the year.

Thanks for posting those fine pictures. Last year I think I found over 10 pounds of lead sinkers and bullets. I wonder what lead brings at the junk yard. I got all my in a Big coffee can.

I started off my year with a 1899 Silver Dollar I found Jan. 11, 2007.

Thanks again, Ringfinder

ringfinder said:
Wow, you two had some great hunting days. Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeee Barber Half, what a great way to start the year.

Thanks for posting those fine pictures. Last year I think I found over 10 pounds of lead sinkers and bullets. I wonder what lead brings at the junk yard. I got all my in a Big coffee can.

Thanks again, Ringfinder
Nice start with a Morgan $$! If I saw that signal on my Mxt,,, I would not believe it. Thinking it would be an old melted chunk of aluminum! I didn't believe it when Mr Mxt told me I had a half!.... I better start listening to my best friend (mxt),,,,Can't wait to find a $.

I weighed the sinkers I found,, 2 lbs 10.6 oz,,,,, It felt like 10 pounds walking back to the truck.

HH
MC

musclecar said:
ringfinder said:

Thanks again, Ringfinder
Nice start with a Morgan $$! If I saw that signal on my Mxt,,, I would not believe it. Thinking it would be an old melted chunk of aluminum! I didn't believe it when Mr Mxt told me I had a half!.... I better start listening to my best friend (mxt),,,,Can't wait to find a $.

I weighed the sinkers I found,, 2 lbs 10.6 oz,,,,, It felt like 10 pounds walking back to the truck.

HH
MC

Know the feeling on the weight of the sinkers. I hunt a reservoir each year here in Ohio that gets drained down each year and I each time I leave the lake, I usually take out over 5 pounds of sinkers out with me. I even have some that look like fish. I found a CW bullet with a string still attached, some guy used it as a sinker. The reservoir goes back to the early 1900's. Only found two gold rings so far, has to be more.

Thanks for sharing your finds with us, it's so darn cold here in Ohio, it's a pleasure to see someone detecting and finding good items.

Thanks Again, Ringfinder

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back