State Metal Detecting Laws

S

sounder

Can anyone tell me where to find the metal detecting laws(what public lands--what state lands can be hunted) for the state of Illinois? I have heard that if land is used for public functions, that it can be hunted, such as town parks and so on. I know if the land is privately owned, that you have to get permission to hunt, but I don't know about parks. I hunt the two town parks in my town. I have gotten permission from the police chief to hunt these parks, but going into a another town is something else. I do know that some state lands can be hunted, but nothing can be removed from the property.

Upvote 0

Doug Mauck

Sep 7, 2004
Topeka, Kansas
I seriously doubt that any state has any laws directed toward metal detectors, per se. Of course there are historic sites everywhere that forbid removing anything from the property, no matter how it's discovered.
My approach on public property anywhere is to hunt it. Even some private property looks like fair game to me, such as a residential site that is being cleared for commercial construction. No one is likely to object. Other property is held by banks, etc. or absentee owners. If someone challenges me, I'll leave with no argument. That hasn't happened yet.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your county and local city are the ones ya gotta watch out for.Of coarse federal property and state are subject to extra laws too.Make a call and have a ball with whatever agency is in control.Sure beats some pretty bad consequences!!Tons a au 2 u 2-John ;D

OP
OP
S

sounder

Thanks for the information!! Actually, that is about what I have been doing up to this point. I have never had any trouble, and I don't want to either. It would sure ruin a good hunting trip. sounder ;D

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Someone above said State parks are unlikely to have laws pertaining to metal detectors. Not true. I know Missouri has laws against detecting in ANY state park, but allows some limited detecting on certain beaches with a permit. I am sure lots of other states are in the same situation.

Also, city parks may or may not be off limits. They are usually ok, but there are some that have wierd rules. Some city parks are conisdered historic, while others are not. I asked the City Hall of one town and they told me "sure detect away and have fun....but we have a no dig ordiance". I was like what the heck !? That defeats the purpose!! Oh, well. One town out of dozens I can't go too. Big deal.

Call the city halls of the towns near you, or better, send an email. They will let you know what the rules are.

OP
OP
S

sounder

Thanks! I'll try to keep all this in mind. sounder

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey Sounder, hope you're finding some great spots to hunt down that way. I recalled a fellow I talked to over in Peoria who told me there was an old Indian village just recently uncovered on the west bank of the river north of town. The town had bought the condemned property and was turning it into a village park. The site appeared to have some incredible potential, as you may know the Peoria were very numerous thereabouts and the French did a lot of trading on the river in the area a couple centuries ago.

Well the local police have no regs against md'ing and in fact are quite helpful to folk looking for places to hunt. Not sure about the status of the site now, but it might make for a good dig if you get over that way.

Have you been out with the McLean County Club yet? Let us know how you're doing!

OP
OP
S

sounder

We do know about the site that Lowbatts mentioned, but it has been made a state dig site, and is off limits to anyone not connected with the dig. We did go to the McLean county club meeting, and found a nice bunch of people, but they don't go on group hunts to parks and such. They mainly go to competion hunts, which right now we are not interested in. We have hunted an abandoned house site, but had not much luck. We found a lot of iron pieces, but no coins or relics. We hunted the local park again, and found about 50 coins including two wheats. Not bad!!! We also hunted the local pond/lake and found a few pennies and dimes(one silver) and LOTS of pull tabs. My friend was in the water up to his waist, and found just one penny, and lots of junk. I stayed dry, and found about the same thing. HEH--HEH!!!! sounder

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
There was an interesting story on that Indian site. The village owned it and some archies told them they wanted to close it and do a dig, the village said no, they wanted the park to go in. Apparently the guys in the village encouraged a few md'ers to hit it because they did not like the archies coming and telling them what to do with their land.

Apparently the law came down on the side of the archies. No md'ers were cited or troubled over it as far as I know, but it's another case where some academics exercised their God-given right to gather more spear points and arrowheads over the vulgar desire of the public and the community.

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
Check with park supervisor and go on the state website and look for any restrictions. Be carefull not every state posts rules any ignorence of the law is no excuse! I had to get a supervisor to contact the state house in Conn. to find out the rules and regs. (they are diff for diff parks area's!) They sent me a letter with a list of off limit places and all the regs. I carry it in my truck and have on my person when I hunt Conn. I have been challanged twice and having the official document saved me much grief and edjucated some people. Just like researching a hunt site you must research the law. My .02 Cladius.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread