Mar 2, 2007
Panama City Florida
OP
OP
bdxample

bdxample

Mar 2, 2007
Panama City Florida
I promised pics...not my usual quality, but enough to give a decent idea of the pieces

DSCN2931_edited.jpg

DSCN2932_edited.jpg

lazyaussie

Jan 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
garret ace250 explorer ll excal 1000 whites BHID
i"d say there worth more as items than melt value usually brushes have only a thin layer of silver nice find by the way

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mirror looks like it has been dropped and the handle bent. You may not be able to sell it as a collectible. But, someone may buy as silver scrap. It is probably "filled" by the look of that dent.

I just bid on a sterling and wood brush (strictly for scrap) and missed by a dollar.

How much did you pay? you might have 2-3 ounces total, depends on how thin the silver is.

OP
OP
bdxample

bdxample

Mar 2, 2007
Panama City Florida
There are multiple "problems" with the set, including dents and an off-kilter mirror. I paid a total of 3.00 for both pieces at a garage sale.

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With that many problems,I would scrap them! But thats your decision.Good Luck :thumbsup:

lazyaussie

Jan 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
garret ace250 explorer ll excal 1000 whites BHID
question to silver scrapers

do you guys & girls research the item/collectable value/ age/ rarity of a peace of silver before you pull em to bits ?? i watch silver on eBay over here in Aussie & 80% + goes for more than melt. also do ya sell it or stockpile it ?? i"m quite interested as i collect a little bit of old silver.
lazyaussie

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: question to silver scrapers

lazyaussie said:
do you guys & girls research the item/collectable value/ age/ rarity of a peace of silver before you pull em to bits ??
lazy, I research a bit, but there is so much out there it is hard to find a match.

For example I bought a silver bud vase for $1.50 ($1.96AUD) but only the base is silver the vase part is glass with a cut design. It might only have $2.50 in silver but I might get $8-10 on feebay. So that is in my pile to list.

A note from my experience with weighted silver pieces: about 10-15% of the total weight is silver the rest is an epoxy or plaster filler.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: question to silver scrapers

cyberdan said:
For example I bought a silver bud vase for $1.50 ($1.96AUD) but only the base is silver the vase part is glass with a cut design. It might only have $2.50 in silver but I might get $8-10 on feebay. So that is in my pile to list.
update on that silver bud vase, actually I just bought another that was amost a twin (paid $1) my wife saw both of them together and now I don't have them any more. >:(

I hope she doesn't put roses in them. can't stand the smell of roses :(

just call me dollardan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread