Sterling? Kiddush Wine Fountain

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thrift stores around here catch almost all the sterling or the many, many pickers get it first. Just about the only way I have gotten any sterling over the past year was to find a hidden or unusual mark. Nothing with a clear "STERLING" mark. The thrift store I got this from dates each price sticker so it appears this was on the shelf for five days before I picked it up. I looked it over carefully and put it back when I couldn't find a mark, plus it had rainbow hues on the toning which I typically only see on silverplate. After looking over the rest of the store, on instinct I went back to it and decided to buy it anyway since the price was only $6.

I can't make much of the marks so hopefully someone recognizes it. The one in photo 4 is on the top the cup tray where the plate curls up at the edge. The mark in the fifth photo is on the side of the rising piece right at the bottom.

Weight 384 grams (much of which must be from the long bolt).
5.5" tall
8" wide

No sign of the cups, but I will be checking back daily.

I noticed the first mark as I was putting it in my cart and the second one when I got home. It is similar in style to this one https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/d...a-sterling-silver-wine-fountain/id-f_9018481/.

Attachments

• IMG_3263_edited-1.JPEG
    IMG_3263_edited-1.JPEG
    500.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3264_edited-1.JPEG
    IMG_3264_edited-1.JPEG
    842.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3265_edited-1.JPEG
    IMG_3265_edited-1.JPEG
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3261.JPEG
    IMG_3261.JPEG
    189.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3262.JPEG
    IMG_3262.JPEG
    244.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3266_edited-1.JPEG
    IMG_3266_edited-1.JPEG
    1.5 MB · Views: 51

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score. I'm not sure who that mark belongs to. No telling on the cups. They could've come and gone or they're still sitting waiting to be sorted and priced? Keep your fingers 🤞 is all you can hope for.

OP
OP
H

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score. I'm not sure who that mark belongs to. No telling on the cups. They could've come and gone or they're still sitting waiting to be sorted and priced? Keep your fingers 🤞 is all you can hope for.
No luck today, but did see that someone had donated quite a bit of older Judaica. Picked up a silverplate bowl that has some resale value.

XtreasureX

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thrift stores around here catch almost all the sterling or the many, many pickers get it first. Just about the only way I have gotten any sterling over the past year was to find a hidden or unusual mark. Nothing with a clear "STERLING" mark. The thrift store I got this from dates each price sticker so it appears this was on the shelf for five days before I picked it up. I looked it over carefully and put it back when I couldn't find a mark, plus it had rainbow hues on the toning which I typically only see on silverplate. After looking over the rest of the store, on instinct I went back to it and decided to buy it anyway since the price was only $6.

I can't make much of the marks so hopefully someone recognizes it. The one in photo 4 is on the top the cup tray where the plate curls up at the edge. The mark in the fifth photo is on the side of the rising piece right at the bottom.

Weight 384 grams (much of which must be from the long bolt).
5.5" tall
8" wide

No sign of the cups, but I will be checking back daily.

I noticed the first mark as I was putting it in my cart and the second one when I got home. It is similar in style to this one https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/d...a-sterling-silver-wine-fountain/id-f_9018481/.

I'd definitely would have bought it with the 925 mark on it. The rolled edge at the widest part is indicative of sterling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread