Sterling or silver plate?

whiteknight38

Jun 15, 2007
I'm new to the idea of 'precious metal detecting' when garage sailing on Saturday mornings, but have learned to always carry around a fridge magnet in my pocket to help distinguish silver from dross.

The magnet won't stick to silver, but unfortunately won't stick to a lot of other stuff.

Obviously, if it says Sterling you've got money in your hands.

A simple test of how much, consider that silver is about $13.00 per oz, therabouts, so a silver dime is worth about a buck.
I keep that mental scale in mind when "shopping"

So, the first gross elimination test is the magnet. The magnet will not stick to sterling, but neither will it stick to plated copper, zinc, or nickel silver

I avoid plate, as its pretty much worthless form the point of view of metal value, but may have value to collectors with specialized

E.P.N.S. (Electroplated Nickel Silver) and EPBM (Electroplated Britannia Metal) a tin alloy, are the most common names attributed to silver plate items. But many other names are used for silver plate: EPC (electro plated copper has copper value of course)

http://www.silvercollection.it/AMERICANSILVERPLATEMARKSMPDUE.html

includes this list:

EPWM - Electroplate on White Metal, Argentium Argentine Plate, Argentum, Ascetic B. B. S. Ltd, Ashberry, Austrian Silver, Brazilian Silver D&A Trademark of Daniel and Arter, Buxbridge - Trademark name of JT&Co., Electrum, Encore TT&Co Trademark of T. Turner, Exquisite, HH&S , I.XL Geo. Wostenholm & Son, Insignia Plate, JB&S EP A1, JD&S = John Dixon & Sons, K & TL , M&W Mappin and Webb, N.S. New Silver, Nevada Silver D&A Trademark of Daniel and Arter, Norwegian Silver - Trademark of WG&S, Pelican Silver JGNS, Potosi Silver N&S WP, RN&S EP Neill, Silverite = Trademark of W P & Co , Sonora Silver = Trademark of Walker and Hall, Spur Silver = Trademark of E B & Co for Edwin Blyde & Co, Stainless N. S., Stainless Nickel, Stainless Nickel Silver, Venetian Silver - Trademark of Deykin & Sons, WF&SS EP

The term "silver filled" means an item must contain not less than ten-percent 925 silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread