Sterling Ring Park Find...

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone,

With work behind me, I spent the rest of my Saturday digging...OF course. Found this sterling ring...looks sort of well worn. Always glad to find silver no matter what. I spent some time going along the edge of the roads in this park...along the concrete curbs. You can tell 'old' cement when you see it, and this certainly was. Some curbs in this park have almost crumbled away and when the black top was put in, sort of over shadowed the curbs...but many of them are still there. My thought was that people may have sat along these to rest or tie their shoes, or, tripped over them...walked on them like a tightrope etc., so, there must have been some moments of droppage...and I am always trying to think of places that have been hunted to death that people don't really spend a lot of time on or neglect. The ground along most of the curbs here slope into the curb itself, because most of the park is on rolling hills(Iowa...lol). But these have eroded to some degree...and that is also what I look for...where there are signs of open dirt, scantly grassy areas that you can see the dirt, even moss growing(not sure why but these mossy areas seem to indicate good spots for me in heavily trodden places). I look for where the slopes or hills drastically drop off too...which in my thinking is erosion working for you, because as the ground gives in these areas, it also gives up it's buried goods. So, watch for signs like this in your parks and such.

Among my other finds of note, I am most interested in that tag. It's going to drive me bonkers until I figure out what those initials stand for. I don't know what it was for...whatever it was for, it was #11 ... therefore, there were 10 more before it, and who knows how many after it lol. Maybe it was a key fob, or a tag for a purse or bag of some kind. If you have an idea PLEASE let me know.

Lastly...I am the wheat finder...1925 for collection.

Ok, that's it for now...depending on the weather...as it's raining as I write this, Sunday might be an indoor day for me.

GL & HH

Attachments

• IMG_4633.JPG
    IMG_4633.JPG
    795.6 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_4635.JPG
    IMG_4635.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_4639.JPG
    IMG_4639.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 125
Upvote 12

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's a nice old ring, and with the older wheat cent
you are likely on a place that holds some more goods
id try that place again

congrats!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful ring Jarl, I suspect it is Native American made, Navajo or Hopi. Maybe some research on the hallmark would help. The tag may be off of a bank bag, i.e., C------ S------ Bankers Association. :dontknow: Sub

Fourman110

Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No wonder it's so tough finding things out here. You keep beating me there!

I hear you on looking for out of the way spots where people may have been at these pounded parks. I found a barber dime and a few feet away an indian head over at Bever park a few weeks ago by thinking about paths people would take when walking in and out of the park.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice ring - That "chip in resin " inlay style became popular in the Southwest in the 1950's through 70's - Likely it
was made in Arizona or New Mexico .

Fourman110

Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been scratching my head on the tag. It almost looks like a tool tag, but I can't come up with a business that would have had those initials. After looking through the internet, I'm amazed about the number of organizations that either have similar initials, business association, bowling association, etc.

Whatever it is, it looks more like it was cast with the number on it than stamped, though I may be wrong. Seems to me it would be a bit more effort to make it that way.

What's the tag made out of and is there anything on the back of it?

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet ring !

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome silver ring and great wheat! That tag is really interesting, looks old and better made than most.
Hope somebody knows what it is.

Congrats on thinking out side the box when it comes to searching places.

OP
OP
Jarl

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Subterranean and Argentium, thanks...yeah, I figured it was south western made...I did not know that about the flake resin inlay though, that's good to know. I'll have to try to find who the maker was some day using the stamp...looks like a tree kind of.

OP
OP
Jarl

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the comments and likes. Fourman110, good to know there are some more CR hunters around...2013 & 2014 I ran into a lot of them...have not seen one person out around here this year. Regarding Bever, the stuff is there, you just have to take your time. The easy cherry picking days are over for that park(mostly)...now it's like searching for a needle in a haystack....more work but it pays off if you stick to it. On the tag, I looked at a lot of things too with the same initials. Most likely, the last letter 'A' is probably for Associates/Association, Academy, Administration etc., something of that nature. The 'C' maybe Central, Community...I thought maybe it was a money bag tag for Community Savings Bank, but not sure on that one. Their history is as early as 1910 from what i have read, so, it's possible. The tag by the way is brass from what i can tell and there does not appear to be anything on the back. I checked it with my 10x loupe.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver & Turquoise. Such a classic combination. Very nice!

WTG

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice I bought three or so of those old style rings with the turquoise in resin about 5 years ago , had a local silversmith that passed away he had some hefty price tags on them for silver rings but I got a good deal buying them all at once. That a pretty ring, good enough to wear Jarl :occasion14:

Here is a picture of my rings for comparison:

1024.jpg

OP
OP
Jarl

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting those, CoinandRelicMan! I'm glad everyone liked the ring. Appreciate all the responses! :)

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet ring!!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for posting those, CoinandRelicMan! I'm glad everyone liked the ring. Appreciate all the responses! :)

Your Welcome Jarl :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread