sterling salt $ pepper

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Has anyone scrapped out glass lined, weighted salt shakers. I would like to get an idea of the weight so I can better price them at the flea market. I picked up 3 pairs in an auction along with 181 grams of knives, a candle holder, and some other sterling and plate items for $60. Couldn't believe the lot went that cheep.

The salts are all Empire # 249, 241, 242

Attachments

• 249-241-242.JPG
    249-241-242.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 666

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found three sets stamped on the bottom with: "Weighted, Sterling" salt and pepper shakers.
I paid a total of $8 for all three sets over the course of the last few months.
All three sets I found were made by a company called "Dutchin Creation". This company has VERY THIN silver skins on every piece of theirs I've scraped... One pair was filled with a greenish epoxy, but the other exactly matching set and the shorter set were filled with white plaster.

They totaled about 68 grams when the filler weight and glass was rinsed away and it dried.

Bill

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't had any of the glass lined ones, but if your shakers are in good shape they should sell pretty well. My only experience with scrapping weighted shakers was a pair that was weighted on the bottom portion only, after removing the concrete they weighed just over an ounce each, with the concrete they weighed double that. Good luck.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what's inside glass/sterling salt and pepper shakers

Silver skinned.jpg Silver shakers skinned and remainder weighed.jpg Silver shaker some of the weight.jpg Silver shakers c.jpg Silver shaker some of the weight.jpg

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't post but two pics at at time.... Here's the weights:

Silver shakers skinned and remainder weighed.jpg Silver shaker some of the weight.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread