What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Sterling Spoon Hallmark Help Please

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2011
Messages
2,809
Reaction score
4,474
Golden Thread
0
Location
Stuart VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone on here ID these hallmarks on this serving spoon. It weighs 43 grams. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3149 (2).webp
    IMG_3149 (2).webp
    951.1 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_3147 (3).webp
    IMG_3147 (3).webp
    327 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3148 (2).webp
    IMG_3148 (2).webp
    628.1 KB · Views: 80
That,s a pretty spoon!I don,t know diddly about hallmarks,but I like the spoon,real good shape too.RedCoat,s the man you want to ID the Hallmarks.
 
Upvote 0
Red-Coat, you can probably answer a question I've been asking various antiques-dealers for years without getting a specific answer. I realize the answer most likely cannot be nailed down to a single specific year... so, approximately what year did the (usually raised) marking saying "STERLING" in plain block letters (like we see on Indian Steve's spoon) first appear on eating utensils, jewelry, etc.?
 
Upvote 1
Red-Coat, you can probably answer a question I've been asking various antiques-dealers for years without getting a specific answer. I realize the answer most likely cannot be nailed down to a single specific year... so, approximately what year did the (usually raised) marking saying "STERLING" in plain block letters (like we see on Indian Steve's spoon) first appear on eating utensils, jewelry, etc.?

As a general rule, you can be pretty confident that the piece was made after the Civil War, and usually not before 1868, when America began to embrace the Sterling standard.
 
Upvote 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom