Sterling St. Christopher Medallion

JCinNJ

Jan 25, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Here is the St. Christopher medallion I mentioned earlier in my silver dime trifecta post.
My guess is that it is at least 50 years old based on the age of the coins I was finding around it.
I googled Theda and found it was a brand name used by the Ideal Manufacturing out of Providence Rhode Island since 1921.

It looks prettier in real life than scanned but I am going to try to get that last bit of rust stain off.

I figured it was worth about $3.00 for the silver but vintage religious medals of that size are selling between $35 and $100. :headbang:

HH!

JCinNJ

Attachments

• medal2.jpg
    medal2.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 680
  • medal2-rev.jpg
    medal2-rev.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 631
Upvote 0
Nice finds!
I found 2 WWII religious medals about a month ago that are in beautiful shape. I had no idea there was a collectors market for them. I'll have to look into that.
Good Luck!
Mike

Nice find. I can believe it's 50 or so old. I remeber around 50 years ago when I was a lad, I had one of those medals and wore it to bed. Almost killed myself, lucky my mom was awake and came in and unwraped it from around my neck. I don't remember what happen to mine. Either lost it somewhere or put it up in my box of stuff and mom gave it to my nephews.
:icon_sunny: HH in 2010 :icon_sunny:

Whats with the rust pealing off the back ? :icon_scratch: Is that plating and, whats it say under the Sterling? :dontknow:

I love those metals, precious metals or not. :o :headbang:

Great find !! :icon_thumleft: :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Whats with the rust pealing off the back ? :icon_scratch: Is that plating and, whats it say under the Sterling? :dontknow:

I love those metals, precious metals or not. :o :headbang:

Great find !! :icon_thumleft: :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

The medal was found in a highly mineralized area. It was black when I found it. It's just trace rust from mineralization. It says "Theda" under sterling, a brand name used by the Ideal Manufacturing out of Providence Rhode Island since 1921.

I hate to hear that 50yrs is vintage.Guess I'm vintage and a half!I wore a medal just like that from the late 40's til about 12yr ago when the 'eye' wore through and the jeweler said it couldn't be repaired.I have a different style now(still St Chris)but I need to get it coated with rhodium or it'll turn black on me.Very nice find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back