Sterling WWII Combat Infantryman Badge!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woke up early this morning and hit a young forest that was farmed until about the 1960s. There was a cold bitter wind and a thin layer of hard snow on the ground, but I could not resist the strong pull of this highly addictive hobby. (My wife thinks I am crazy, and I fear she may be right!) Best find was this beautiful WWII Combat Infantryman Badge. Wish I could figure out how to make a return - long shot at best. I pasted some info below. God bless the men and women who have served in our armed forces, whether in war or peace; our nation owes them its gratitude.

AWARD ELIGIBILITY: Awarded to personnel in the grade of Colonel or below with an infantry military occupational specialty who have satisfactorily performed duty while assigned as a member of an infantry unit, brigade or smaller size, during any period subsequent to 6 December 1941 when the unit was engaged in active ground combat.

The Combat Infantryman Badge (CIB) was established by the War Department on 27 October 1943. Lieutenant General Lesley J. McNair, then the Army Ground Forces commanding general, was instrumental in its creation. He originally recommended that it be called the "fighter badge." The CIB was designed to enhance morale and the prestige of the Infantry.

Attachments

• 20201206_170826.jpg
    20201206_170826.jpg
    543.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 20201206_170853.jpg
    20201206_170853.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 29
OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on a great find. Yes, the CIB is still awarded in the U.S. Army. The second and third award are designated by a star or two two stars above the wreath. The third award is rare. The EIB without the wreath (Expert Infantry Badge) can be harder to earn than the CIB in some cases, it involves a series of field tests that the soldier must perform to expert standards. There is also a Combat Medical Badge and Combat Action Badge as well.

Happy Hunting!
U.S. Army 1980-2007

Thank you for the very informative post. More importantly, thank you for your service to this country!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find and interesting followup posts...

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks. That is a good theory on how the item may have potentially been lost in a former farmfield that is now woods. I was thinking maybe a hunter, but your idea seems more plausible. As for a return, there is no name or initials on it to go by. I have an acquaintance connected to the property, but have not seen him in years. I may reach out to him at some point, as perhaps he was the mischievous youngster that lost it. Thanks again.

Wouldn’t that be an amazing story, if he’s the one who lost it? In the late 70s my older brother and I recovered one of my mother’s dog tags (she was a WAC Sgt. in WWII, she and my Dad were both assigned throughout the South Pacific, but they hadn’t met yet) which we had used while playing army in the field behind the house. We were turning over the garden (no metal detecting for us back then) when it popped out of the soil. She was thrilled to have it back. As for myself, my dog tags will always be in a safe place, along with my P-38.
That’s a super find you made.
dts

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oustanding find, Congrats!!! "D"

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wouldn’t that be an amazing story, if he’s the one who lost it? In the late 70s my older brother and I recovered one of my mother’s dog tags (she was a WAC Sgt. in WWII, she and my Dad were both assigned throughout the South Pacific, but they hadn’t met yet) which we had used while playing army in the field behind the house. We were turning over the garden (no metal detecting for us back then) when it popped out of the soil. She was thrilled to have it back. As for myself, my dog tags will always be in a safe place, along with my P-38.
That’s a super find you made.
dts

It would be a great story, but it is such a long shot. I believe his family owned the property a long time ago, but that it was operated by tenant farmers. Maybe I'll get lucky, who knows. Thanks for sharing your story. Admirable family history you have. I hope you all got the recognition you deserved. Thank you for your service!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
It would be a great story, but it is such a long shot. I believe his family owned the property a long time ago, but that it was operated by tenant farmers. Maybe I'll get lucky, who knows. Thanks for sharing your story. Admirable family history you have. I hope you all got the recognition you deserved. Thank you for your service!

Odds are that the original owner is long passed. Still admirable that you made the effort.

My parents always instilled a “service before self” mind set in my older brother and I. He was a Marine officer in Vietnam, I was AF. My youngest is a career “mustang” Marine Major, like his maternal grandfather. My nephew is a career firefighter. Guess it runs in the blood. Thanks for your kind comments.
dts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread