Still processing this one: Eagle breast plate!

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B7C35B49-8029-4D29-A72A-8608D6E0E047.jpeg
CA5EBE15-F1B7-4460-B169-9291AD9BF46C.jpeg
Friend of mine lives in a historic house and I got permission to hunt there. I was about 10 minutes from leaving when I dug this up. If anyone can tell me the best way to preserve it I would really appreciate it, the back is a little crumbly. It may have been in a burn pile. This is definitely a bucket lister, thanks for looking!

Upvote 47

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2059263 View attachment 2059264 Friend of mine lives in a historic house and I got permission to hunt there. I was about 10 minutes from leaving when I dug this up. If anyone can tell me the best way to preserve it I would really appreciate it, the back is a little crumbly. It may have been in a burn pile. This is definitely a bucket lister, thanks for looking!
Very Cool!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
View attachment 2059263 View attachment 2059264 Friend of mine lives in a historic house and I got permission to hunt there. I was about 10 minutes from leaving when I dug this up. If anyone can tell me the best way to preserve it I would really appreciate it, the back is a little crumbly. It may have been in a burn pile. This is definitely a bucket lister, thanks for looking!
thats a great dig, kudos for not smacking it with the shovel....not sure what kind of preserving agent should be used I put mine behind glass very quickly and hung it on the wall

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Also in case you’re curious, nokta legend with a 6 inch coil, but you would’ve heard this with any machine.
my next machine so thanks for that :), this might be a terrible answer that makes some shudder but I dont see why a clear resin or superglue would hurt anything on the back would just seal it but just a guess not my relic!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stunning! I've never had to preserve something of that magnitude (my immediate reaction is to always leave them as is), but GL with whatever you choose to do with it.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice plate congrats !! Don't do anything to the front, you could brush a light coat of Elmers glue to the lead backing to keep it in place, low sheen looks good.
Agreed, a clear wood glue would work & can be professionally reversed if needed. Just do the back/reverse.

OP
OP
Hbot37

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats a great dig, kudos for not smacking it with the shovel....not sure what kind of preserving agent should be used I put mine behind glass very quickly and hung it on the wall

Nice plate congrats !! Don't do anything to the front, you could brush a light coat of Elmers glue to the lead backing to keep it in place, low sheen looks good.
Thanks for the tip with the glue, I will get some today. I also ordered small riker box so that I can display it proudly!

OP
OP
Hbot37

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Stunning! I've never had to preserve something of that magnitude (my immediate reaction is to always leave them as is), but GL with whatever you choose to do with it.

Agreed, a clear wood glue would work & can be professionally reversed if needed. Just do the back/reverse.
Just wanted to post an update for everyone in this thread. I spoke to the artifact conservationist at the NC History museum and was told using elmers or wood glue, while professionally reversible, will yellow and corrode with time. Also, professionally cleaning the glue off can remove more of the original piece. They said the best option would be doing nothing but storing it in as air tight of a container as possible with silica packs. Obviously, everyone is welcome to do what they want with their own items but I just wanted to relay that information. I'll make sure to update this post with a new picture once I have mine on display.

MD Ghost F75

Mar 27, 2022
Harford County, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just wanted to post an update for everyone in this thread. I spoke to the artifact conservationist at the NC History museum and was told using elmers or wood glue, while professionally reversible, will yellow and corrode with time. Also, professionally cleaning the glue off can remove more of the original piece. They said the best option would be doing nothing but storing it in as air tight of a container as possible with silica packs. Obviously, everyone is welcome to do what they want with their own items but I just wanted to relay that information. I'll make sure to update this post with a new picture once I have mine on display.
Congrats on the plate! I apply Renaissance wax on everything I display, from coins to suspender clips, spoons, thimbles, or Civil War relics. It is used in museums as well. I would rub a liberal amt of wax on the face of the plate, let it sit for a couple minutes, then buff with a soft toothbrush. Doesnt change the appearance of the relic, just a nice clean look. Get a small jar and try it on something else to see what you think. Just my thought. Great recovery.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the plate! I apply Renaissance wax on everything I display, from coins to suspender clips, spoons, thimbles, or Civil War relics. It is used in museums as well. I would rub a liberal amt of wax on the face of the plate, let it sit for a couple minutes, then buff with a soft toothbrush. Doesnt change the appearance of the relic, just a nice clean look. Get a small jar and try it on something else to see what you think. Just my thought. Great recovery.
I was just about to add Ren. wax but its expensive. I use it all the time.
Doing nothing on this one was bad advise IMO. But your well to watch it fall apart in a few years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread