Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Gypsy O' Leary said:
Abandoned home Stillwater

So did you find anything there? It must be somewhere near the battlefield and I would be willing to bet, one of THE places some of the local guys make their finds.

Mar 3, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 , Ace 250
I personally feel a home like that should be restored, Im sure someone can buy it dirth cheap and is a contractor " so it would save big $$ on labor". My home was built in 1901 , and is as solid as the first day it was built . These modern homes are junk , cheap 2 by 4s from head to toe .

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Saints behold ya, nice picture Miss O' Leary , I believe I will have a pint on it lass.

Will have to travel up there for a look see and pay a visit to the local pubs.. Close by.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
007 said:
I personally feel a home like that should be restored, Im sure someone can buy it dirth cheap and is a contractor " so it would save big $$ on labor". My home was built in 1901 , and is as solid as the first day it was built . These modern homes are junk , cheap 2 by 4s from head to toe .

You aint freaking kidding double o. That house is gorgeous and it would be something to behold after restoration but alas the tax laws here in NY are garbage. If it's abandoned, most likely there are mounting back taxes which could be more than the value of the home. With these backwards tax laws in NY, the taxes are owed "by the property" and not the people who didn't pay and at least a portion of that back tax bill will be transferred to the new owner and a lean put on the house should the new owner not pay. That being said, I would be willing to bet the back tax bill is far greater than what anyone could get for the property even if it was in restored, or even original mint condition. In the end, because of this useless and corrupt NYS government (my governor is my hero by the way...pandejo), this property will continue to degrade until it is just a hole in the ground. Very sad.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
This is exactly the kind of home that could be restored ....but you are right......NY needs to get its historic property act together....somewhat like South Carolina ,where they give you big breaks on saving period homes and restoring them.....Look at some of the beautiful homes in the Buffalo area....streets of historic homes rotting away and going for 3-4 k a piece because the neighborhoods have turned to slum district....you could buy an entire neighborhood for 50k and restore it...but you would have to find some government agency who would give you tax breaks and NY doesnt have them...Its easier for the city to let them be bulldozed or rot into the ground. ..If someone can find me a home like this in Missouri...I will take it....

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Excellent Donny
Look at the properties next to and behind it...Wow ....I would be hunting it....Someone go ask!

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
great house, gypsy! in my work travels, (second job, i retired at 50) i go by this great old stone house in palatine bridge n.y. if i hit the big one i am going to buy it and have it moved here. there is also some really beautiful wooden houses in that area. it's a really historic area. i'm 45 min. away and haven't detected there yet. what a dummy! the settlers traveled the mohawk valley in their quest for the promised land. rev. war soldiers used it as a travel route. indians as a trail. it is now rte. 5, rte 5-s n.y. thruway,(interstate 90) and the eirie canal. (parts of which are the mohawk river) i live about ten miles from the military road. it was from johnstown to sacketts harbor on lake ontario. i have detected the dirt sections but with not much luck. oxen shoe, junk and nails. good luck and have fun! Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread