harryort

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2012
New Bern
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok...Here goes. I want to buy a metal detector, but.........

Isn't a detector a detector a detector?

Some say dig everything or you will miss small silver and gold items.

Others asy I don't have time to dig everything and want discrimination. So they miss alot of the good stuff, Right?

A detector that detects all metals and goes very deep seems the best choice if you want to get the better finds?

Especially at the beach, right?

And it needs to be water proof.

Am I missing anything?

SOoooo....That said which detector fits this criteria best without spending $2500.00?

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will recommend the ace 250, for about 212 from kellyco with tons of accessories... It has treated me well...

I usually dig everything but iron, as that is usually just trash metal...

It is waterproof upto the machine part, but I dont think salt water proof... thats a different animal, and I think salt water machines start around 500... But it is fine for on the beach, just not in the water

Dont forget a hand held pin pointer, it has saved me so much time... although for beach digging, it might not be necessary

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're planning on doing both land and beach a Garrett AT Pro should fit the bill without breaking the bank.

Regards + HH

Bill

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are going to get about every answer under the sun. You didn't specifically state where you plan on hunting and what you plan on hunting for. That is very important information for making a choice.

No, one detector is not equal to another. Many are similar. Some are excellent. Some are crap.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok...Here goes. I want to buy a metal detector, but.........

Isn't a detector a detector a detector?

Some say dig everything or you will miss small silver and gold items.

Others asy I don't have time to dig everything and want discrimination. So they miss alot of the good stuff, Right?

A detector that detects all metals and goes very deep seems the best choice if you want to get the better finds?

Especially at the beach, right?

And it needs to be water proof.

Am I missing anything?

SOoooo....That said which detector fits this criteria best without spending $2500.00?

For the beach, and everywhere else 1) Tesoro Sand Shark Pulse Induction unit (waterproof to 200'), and 2) Tesoro Vaquero Very Low Frequency unit = $1,024.00

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Minelab Excalibur is a fantastic beach detector, since it nulls on iron you will not be digging any tiny pieces of iron like nails, fish hooks, pieces of crab traps and dozens of other tiny pieces of iron unless they are BIG pieces......Well below the $2500 rage as well........

OP
OP
harryort

harryort

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2012
New Bern
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the where but I did not believe it was important. Answer: Anywhere. I was on the other hand looking for input as to my statements. My problem lies with the lack of knowledge about the simplicity of a detector and how it has become so complicated. Were'nt the first detectors just designed to find metal? I know, EVERYONE wants my money. That aside I believe this lack of discussion in regard to what I have said would keep some people from ever buying a detector due to so many choices. Which one????????? Hmmmmmmm...Anyone got a dart? I'm not looking to cause trouble, but see someone actually answer this age old question about metal detecting and what do you really need to go out and find metal objects. If the newer detectors are better I just don't see anything but chest thumping. OURS IS BETTER. NO IT'S NOT. Whewwwwww...........And the number of individual comparison threads will get you nowhere. And yes I know how a metal detector detects metal. But is the money these companys charge going to improve your ability to find metal? Even when I had my Whites Spectrum XLT I rarely looked at the screen. I listened. And found coins and rings. Can the V3i find more metal than the E-TRAC? Why aren't all detectors water proof so rain isn't a problem? Why can one company make a detector that works at the beach as well as on dry land but others cannot. So far my money is on the CTX-3030 but then again I think I'll keep it in my pocket due to sticker shock. End of rant.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That aside I believe this lack of discussion in regard to what I have said would keep some people from ever buying a detector due to so many choices.

Choices don't keep people from buying cars!
This no different. Most manufactures offer the same features and performance as any other. Just packaged differently. You can't compare a $2K detector to $150 one. It would be like comparing a Porsche 911 to Geo Metro.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fella about summed it up.....All cars go somewhere but some are more fun to drive. All metal detectors can find metal, but some have features that add to the fun you'll have. A car doesn't need a radio, and detectors don't need disc. but if you don't want to waste your time digging trash for most of your time you can dial in some disc if you like. If a manufacturer says his MD is water proof, he has to put limits on it or some clown will dive with it down deeper than it was designed for. Then he bad mouths it cause it leaked.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the where but I did not believe it was important. Answer: Anywhere.

Sorry, but that won't work. Trying to make a detector do all things in all places only results in being great at nothing. If you are wanting a freshwater beach hunter, there are specific machines. If you want to hunt ocean beaches, there are others made just for that. Lots of land machines, but it gets even more specific based whether you want to hunt for modern coins, old coins, old relics, gold nuggets, etc.

Just like picking a car, you have to know EXACTLY what you plan on doing with it. A corvette is a bad choice for off-roading, a geo metro is a bad choice for speed or handling, etc.

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think location of where you want to hunt is very important as well as what type of target's are you seeking. Some machines handle bad soil (high mineralization) better or have extra features that can be tweaked to accommodate it better. A good nugget machine will use a higher frequency which is more sensitive to gold. A coin machine might have a lower frequency more sensitive to silver coins.

If you just want a beep and dig machine look for a Tejon or other Tesoro (provided you are not beach hunting if so get a beach rated one). The more expensive machines have better discrimination, more TDI information displayed and some provide the ability to customize the audio for the targets you are seeking (V3i for example), others can be tweaked using your home computer and loaded back into the detector (CTX3030 for example). The Garrett AT Pro is a good "all around machine" since it is waterproof (to 10 feet) and is easy to learn and use. The Fisher F75ltd is a good coin and relic machine but EMI can interfere with it sometimes (it's a very sensitive machine). So is there "ONE machine" that can do it all? I doubt it but some come pretty close.

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You say you once had an XLT . There is one for sale in the forums for 50% off the original price . Go for it .

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
It is amazing to me that people make what should be a fun hobby so hard.

OP
OP
harryort

harryort

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2012
New Bern
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok..First, if I may, To all, Please accept my apologizes for my rant. When I get focused on something I even blind side myself at times. But in my defense, there is an answer and I think this guy is a straight shooter and has answered my questions about what detector to buy. See link especially the info on search coils.

Tips for Buying A Metal Detector

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread