rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Xp deus, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was metal detecting a field this weekend and spotted this triangular shaped rock so I threw it in my pocket and carried on.
After some inspection it appears to be an old tool that probably split in two. I'd appreciate any insight into what it might be, and how old it is. I put it next to my bronze age axe for comparison. Thanks in advance for the help.
20170314_224638.jpg 20170314_224619.jpg 20170314_224715.jpg 20170314_224647.jpg 20170314_224740.jpg

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Natural rock, broken by farmer discing the field.

Most of the axe/hatchet finds here look like this
28595951id.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rebbel31

rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I see where it could be natural. The wide end looks "worked" however. And it's a perfect shape. Nature messing with my emotions!

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i like your attitude when presented with the possibility of it being natural....refreshing....

Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see I got long-winded, here ... sorry.
Short version: The rock had flaws ... stone age folks knew their stones.

Long version:

No chips ... no pecks ... must be grind

Grind work is hard to detect and analyze ... especially true in pictures.
Requires magnification and careful study.
So, I'm not offering an opinion, one way or another.

My observation, however, is taken from the 1st and 3rd picture.
The rock exhibits striations running parallel to the natural break on this rock.
(seeing one in each picture)

This rock breaks in a fracture plane manner ... it had a weak spot running right down the middle.
It wouldn't have been a good choice for making tools ... especially an axe.

Stone age folks knew stones. :)

When working with our local stones, I teach the students common flaws that occur in the rocks.
Before we put time into "working" the stones ... I teach them to smash them against other rocks, first.
We do this for any rocks that are known to have flaws in them.
We're on the river bars or at a quarry, so there is no loss ... leave the bad rock and bang on another.

No need hauling, working, and then using a tool that was doomed from the start.
This is especially true for tools requiring impacts.

Again, I can't offer an opinion here, other than I have a great respect for the ancients knowledge of stone, and this isn't a stone I would expect them to chose for a tool.

If this type stone is common in the creeks and rivers nearby, I'd expect them to chose a better one.
If this type stone is unheard of, in the area, ... then we add the possibility that it is a "manuport" ... brought in by man.
That would make it an artifact.

This isn't saying it's not a tool ... but only having pics to go by, I'd have to say the flawed nature of the rock, itself, gives me pause.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rebbel31

rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A co-worker of mine also suggested that it could be a tool from the 30 years war era. He said the locals were dirt poor and had to innovative. That's a long shot too. It's hard to conclude it's natural due to the thinning towards the business end and the perfectly straight shape of the edges. However after researching stone age tools it's definitely not one. Alas, i have found a axe shaped rock. Thanks for the help yall.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a sandstone to me, which is very brittle, so would not make a good tool.

Upvote 0

Ripcon

Sep 4, 2016
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At best, it could be a spall where an indian was breaking rocks to fashion into a tool or projectile point. Even if that's the case, the attempt was abandoned. It's always good to pick things up when you're curious - you never know.

Upvote 0

oldsilver

Feb 20, 2017
East Coast-Mid Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Started with a Garrett. I think I've probably tried everything make and model from 1977, all the way to the up to the E-trac and GPX 4800.
Nothing new as for me now, I am pretty much handicapped.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
what we call a look alike. We have people every year bringing things to our archaeology booth at the antique and bottle show that they believe is an artifact. I guess if lou look at something long enough...
Keep lookin!!! Good Luck!

Upvote 0

oldsilver

Feb 20, 2017
East Coast-Mid Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Started with a Garrett. I think I've probably tried everything make and model from 1977, all the way to the up to the E-trac and GPX 4800.
Nothing new as for me now, I am pretty much handicapped.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it is sandstone for sure...

Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to add this, and I wanted to.

I'm a "stone age" person, ... but it's that bronze age axe that is darn near giving me goosebumps.

Bavaria ... bronze age ... exploring the hills ... rebbil31, you're living the dream.

Best of Luck !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rebbel31

rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to add this, and I wanted to.

I'm a "stone age" person, ... but it's that bronze age axe that is darn near giving me goosebumps.

Bavaria ... bronze age ... exploring the hills ... rebbil31, you're living the dream.

Best of Luck !

I am sir, no doubt. Ty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread