Stone artifacts from Alabama - what are they?

krishgill

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2011
Can someone help me identify these stone objects. They were found last week in central Alabama in a field that was full of quartz flakes, some quartz arrowheads, quartz tips, and some knives and gravers.

The first is a sandstone rock with a groove in it.

IMG00218-20110314-1943.jpg

The second is a triangular stone that is very smooth and fitted when held with the large end flattened (by grinding?).

The third is a little stone like a finger.

The fourth is a triangular stone with obvious shaping on one side.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've only got one picture showing and that is just a natural rock in my opinion. I don't see evidence that is was worked or used by man.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah i agree thats a rock. Keep searching.

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
hello Krishgill welcom to T net from central highland rim of Tennessee. please redouce photos by appox. 60% and do any thing you think of to get clearer photos so flaking or other tool marks will show plainer... a different light that makes the shadows go away might help. show us the quartz heads, tips, knives gravers. we really like quartz but i should have said all artifacts.. you got one photo on T net that is more than i can do NOW..... T.

OP
OP
K

krishgill

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2011
Looks like my pictures did not upload properly. I will have to try to repost and reduce size.

BobbyBongarzone1176

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2020
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That piece is a pecking/grinding tool. The indentation is where the thumb would be. I have several pieces exactly like this....most a little bigger. Let me pass you a quick word of advice. You're never going to get an expert opinion on sites like this. Keep searching. Don't give up and join your state's archeological group specializing in native American history

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to treasurenet, sorry picture you posted is natural rock with erosion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread