What's new

Stone Carved Figure

jadewhiskey

Full Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2005
Messages
100
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
New Hampshire
Hi All,

I found this actually in an antique store - just sitting at the bottom of a .50 cent table... I thought is was really neat - so, i bought it... I can't seem to find anything online about what it could possibly be... But, it appears to be really old... Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated... I did my best to take the photos to try to capture the detail. I believe it is stone - I couldn't get the coloring to come out right on the camera - but, appears to have some green in it too... The carved head of a woman - she has on something over her head - cloak maybe - and a snake wrapped around her head??? Thanks in advance for any assistance. Didn't know where else to go... Thanks...


face1.jpg

To show the front in comparison with a quarter so you can see the size.

face2.jpg

Just another shot trying to really capture the detail.

face3.jpg

The back.

face4.jpg

Upclose shot.

face5.jpg

Side shot.

face6.jpg

Side shot.

face7.jpg

Bottom.

Thanks all...

Crystal
 
Crystal, this is a really neat statue, and the price was even better! I don't know the about your statue, but when I think about 'women & snakes,' several names come to mind like, Eve, Medusa, Cleopatra, and the Minoan Snake Goddess. Of those listed, I'm wondering if it could represent Eve in the of Garden of Eden? :dontknow: Breezie
 
Upvote 0
My initial thought when I picked her up was - "Eve". She looks medieval to me by her style - but, not sure...

I bought a few other things and the clerk picked it up - looked at it and said "where did you find that?" I said in the bottom of the .50 cent table and he just shrugged and said "you want it?" - like i was crazy or something - lol.. I just thought she was really cool looking and I could tell that she is really old... I hope that I can come up with something to date her.

Thanks all... Much appreciated....

Have a wonderful Holiday Season!!!!!
 
Upvote 0
Hello jadewhiskey,

It appears to be an Asian, Jade, Figurine. Not sure as to it's meaning with the snake though.

H_S
 
Upvote 0
More inclined to go with Breezie. Eve was my first thought too. Has the look of a chess piece or game counter to me.
 
Upvote 0
Dano Sverige said:
More inclined to go with Breezie. Eve was my first thought too. Has the look of a chess piece or game counter to me.

BINGO! Here's the queen! WTG Dano :thumbsup: Breezie
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom