Stone foundation some state was Mission

sailaway

Mar 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roy Bradford found this foundation that I posted earlier in this thread. Bradford camped here for four weeks. Brownie Holmes when he heard directly from Bradford about the foundation that he discovered asked Bradford if he could find it again. Roy said yes he thought he could. Holmes stated if he could see it that he could put to rest the search for the Lost Dutchman. Bradford searched and never could find it again. (information comes from "The Brownie Holmes Interviews" transcribed by Steve Bowser)
Roy Bradfords camp house foundation.png
site verified by photo evidence from Bradford

Last edited:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Here you go

Frank,

Some believe this was the "mission" at that location:

Someone's old family photo.

Someone also claimed this was an actual mission located at Sky Harbor Airport. Claimed Waltz walked past it each time he went to the Superstitions:

Lots of "claims" out there. They just keep coming!

Take care,

Joe

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sarge

If Bob Ward told the truth about hiding the DeGrazia paintings and if his map about is accurate , then IMO the region of the hidden paintings is close to this ancient ruin .

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Sarge

If Bob Ward told the truth about hiding the DeGrazia paintings and if his map about is accurate , then IMO the region of the hidden paintings is close to this ancient ruin .

Marius,

That's a mighty big IF. DeGrazia did not want his family to pay the death tax on all of his unsold art. Good way to avoid that was to publically burn some of his work, which he did.........

Smart man would squirrel away most of it and over the years have his family bring out a few pieces at a time and sell it. That way you would only pay tax on what you sold. Now there's a more logical IF.

Good luck,

Joe

Last edited:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Marius,

That's a mighty big IF. DeGrazia did not want his family to pay the death tax on all of his unsold art. Good way to avoid that was to publically burn some of his work, which he did.........

Smart man would squirrel away most of it and over the years have his family bring out a few pieces at a time and sell it. That way you would only pay tax on what you sold. Now there's a more logical IF.

Good luck,

Joe

has any of degrazia's art come up for sale over the years?

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Dave,

Constantly. First his wife and then his children sold his art. Funny how the gallery never seems to be short of merchandise. Good for Ted, and really good for his family.

Take care,

Joe

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Dave,

Constantly. First his wife and then his children sold his art. Funny how the gallery never seems to be short of merchandise. Good for Ted, and really good for his family.

Take care,

Joe

joe..that is the problem i have always had with ted hiding his paintings in the superstitions..he hid them so his family could live off them and not get raped by the government...why hide them in such a rough area so it would be a miserable ordeal to retrieve them?

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Dave,

Other than the paintings he burned there, I don't believe any other part of the story. I sure don't believe anything Bob Ward had to say. Carol Locust gave a pretty good account of that trip into the Superstition Mountains to burn some of his art. It can be found in "DeGrazia-The Rest of The Story". Interesting book and it give you a little more insight into the life of DeGrazia.

32 years after Ted's death there is still a mountain of his art for sale.

Take care,

Joe

Last edited:

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Dave,

Other than the paintings he burned there, I don't believe any other part of the story. I sure don't believe anything Bob Ward had to say. Carol Locust gave a pretty good account of that trip into the Superstition Mountains to burn some of his art. It can be found in "DeGrazia-The Rest of The Story". Interesting book and it give you a little more insight into the life of DeGrazia.

Take care,

Joe

Joe, you don't believe Bob Ward?

I think the stash was most likely hidden under the floorboards of this saloon:

View attachment 1553741

Best regards, Jim

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Joe, you don't believe Bob Ward?

I think the stash was most likely hidden under the floorboards of this saloon:

View attachment 1553741

Best regards, Jim

jim...i believe some of the stuff bob ward came up with but not everything...i didnt know bob but i have a couple friends that were with bob for years...i do know one thing for sure....old bob did find at least one treasure

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Dave,

Don't mean any offense, but how do you know "for sure"?

Thanks,

Joe

joe..like i said..i didn't know bob and cant vouch for him or anything he said but my friends spent years with him and knew him well....they told me quite a bit about bob that i wasn't aware of...most of what i know of bob came from them......one thing i can share here is bob claimed to be a korean war hero...and bob ward wasn't his real name

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Dave,

Take care,

Joe
Personally I believe what his brother Frank told me in 1982.. Ted took all of his early drawings and early works that the IRS wanted him to claim as "Income" as he could sell them, even if not finished and buried them near/in the Supes. He stopped by Frank's house on his way back laughing and bragging about it to Frank. I know nothing about Bob Ward and Ted. Frank was my Band Director in Florence Union H.S. and that was why I stopped by his house to talk to him. I was curious about Ted's painting and asked Frank (Mr.DeGrazia to me) if he knew the painter. That's when he told me the story about his brother's return trip from burying his early works.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marius,

Good luck,

Joe

Joe

I don't see a reason why the Ward's map to the paintings to be a joke . There are accurate measurements and landmarks in the map , and the end point is a pile of rocks near a big tree .

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Joe

I don't see a reason why the Ward's map to the paintings to be a joke . There are accurate measurements and landmarks in the map , and the end point is a pile of rocks near a big tree .
marius...bob made alot of claims about treasure in the supers...he lived out there for many years in a little shack with no visible means of support...he did locate one haul that kept him going financially for a while...he also said he found a cave with Spanish artifacts...he called it the blunderbuss cave...in the past few years someone has claimed to have located the cave..i believe he wrote a book about it...my friends that knew bob were pretty convinced that bob really did find such a cave...i was taken to the site of the cave a couple years ago...it was in the bottom of a wash ..if there was anything in it ..it had been cleaned out by the time i got there

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave

If Ward wanted only to brag about he helped DeGrazia to hide the paintings , he could draw a map that would be understable only to him . But he drew a map that shows directions , measurements and landmarks , which shows how there is a place that could be find in that map .

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions