What's new

Stone tool possibilities?

TNArtifacts

Greenie
Joined
Apr 21, 2017
Messages
17
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Any of these recognizable? 20170311_162113_HDR.webp
 
Upvote 0
Yep nice assortment of rocks... sorry from what I see all rocks. I will bump a post up on stone tools u should check out. Good luck!
 
Thanks for your help. Will do. Looks like I have a tomahawk, a couple of nutting stones, maybe a sharpening stone, and a few grinding stones at best, maybe a couple of scrapers. The tomahawk was my first find and found it 10 feet off of my driveway. Not sure what type of stone it is, doesn't match anything else around (lots of sandstone and limestone, quartz and some slate. Going over to the local native museum (3 minutes away) tomorrow and will look at what they have.
 
Thanks for your help. Will do. Looks like I have a tomahawk, a couple of nutting stones, maybe a sharpening stone, and a few grinding stones at best, maybe a couple of scrapers. The tomahawk was my first find and found it 10 feet off of my driveway. Not sure what type of stone it is, doesn't match anything else around (lots of sandstone and limestone, quartz and some slate. Going over to the local native museum (3 minutes away) tomorrow and will look at what they have.

Need to post pictures of ones you suspect are artifacts as none in picture appear to be an artifact, but it is a poor picture and we can see very little detail of individual rocks.
 
here are a few hints....first, your rock type seems to be for the most part the same, indicates common and...not artifacts....next, many of your rocks seem to weather and fracture in a similar shape, indicates common and not artifacts...also, although your rocks have provocative shapes, they have no obvious use as tools, no wear patterns and no indications that they nave been worked into shape....again, indicates common and not artifacts.
 
I'll go through and cull out the obvious rocks based on your comments above, then take some decent pictures of some that appear to have been worked to get your input. I have a couple of nutting stones that appear obvious, but others not so sure.
 
Wasn't sure they were artifacts. Just wanted an opinion. Thanks!
 
They look like Pitted Stones, or what are more commonly called Nutting Stones (and I hate that term). But those pits are formed naturally and not by pecking or grinding.

Here's a few pictures of some Pitted Stones I have laying around our flower gardens.
 

Attachments

  • 2017-04-05 18.40.59.webp
    2017-04-05 18.40.59.webp
    47.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 2017-04-05 18.42.36.webp
    2017-04-05 18.42.36.webp
    45.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 2017-04-05 18.44.31.webp
    2017-04-05 18.44.31.webp
    98 KB · Views: 97
  • 2017-04-05 18.45.08.webp
    2017-04-05 18.45.08.webp
    42.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 2017-04-05 18.45.39.webp
    2017-04-05 18.45.39.webp
    47.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 2017-04-05 18.47.50.webp
    2017-04-05 18.47.50.webp
    117.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 2017-04-05 18.47.38.webp
    2017-04-05 18.47.38.webp
    112.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 2017-04-05 18.47.34.webp
    2017-04-05 18.47.34.webp
    123.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 2017-04-05 18.46.19.webp
    2017-04-05 18.46.19.webp
    59 KB · Views: 93
  • 2017-04-05 18.45.59.webp
    2017-04-05 18.45.59.webp
    55.3 KB · Views: 86
They look like Pitted Stones, or what are more commonly called Nutting Stones (and I hate that term). But those pits are formed naturally and not by pecking or grinding.

Here's a few pictures of some Pitted Stones I have laying around our flower gardens.

Do you a clear picture of the multi cuplet nut stone? I would enjoy seeing it. Thanks.
 
To be honest, I believe the first two are absolutely. The first and several others bare symbols commonly found on similar ones I have taken home. The petroglyphs below were all found on boulders near a prominent river and were within 100 yards of each other. I bet you will find some of those symbols on your rocks.

FB_IMG_1493467753255.webpFB_IMG_1493467764475.webp
FB_IMG_1493467773450.webp
 
Last edited:
That's incredible I had no idea about any of this ..... Have you ever visited ?

only when I visit Peter Pan in Neverland....
 
Reaper, even your rock garden's impressive...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom