Stone tool with possible effigy face

islandscope

Nov 9, 2016
New England
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found this piece at a site where I have previously found artifacts, mostly from woodland period but occasionally archaic and possibly older. It is gray in color, (possibly rhyolite?) and I have found other artifacts made from thus material. It is similar to other grinding stones I have found, featuring at least two long flat sides that appear worn from use, triangular in section to fit the hand, and a dimpled top presumably for the thumb, and it fits well in my right hand with the worn surfaces exposed for use.

One side has a series of indents napped into it, which I initially thought might be for use as a sinew stone or some for of nutting application. After cleaning it and looking at it more I think it might have been deliberately created to resemble the profile of a face. My reference materials don't have many examples of effigy stones, nor does the web, and there seems to be a lot of variability among the ones that have been found. If anyone can identify this or provide additional information it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

tempImagemV7MJ6.jpg

tempImagedvoZMT.jpg

tempImageFjIU95.jpg

tempImageFjzo0I.jpg

tempImagegsV99O.jpg

tempImagel2ZYvm.jpg

tempImagegU1v6N.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, it is natural stone shaped by mother nature and what you see is caused by Pareidolia.

Native Americans did not nap finger grooves either, it is the magic of the human hand.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The portable rocl art scam misleads another, bummer. Its a cool rock but not an artifact. Read through some of the native American section here to learn from some of these guys here. We have some great people who have been finding stuff for decades.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

islandscope

Nov 9, 2016
New England
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here's a few more images of what i think are the working faces
tempImagekgf5hU.jpg
tempImagexeQroN.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, they are again natural stones, you will never learn to identify and find true Indian artifacts if you keep going down this train of thought.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions