Stopped in a bank and asked for halves...

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went to a bank yesterday and stopped in and asked for halves, the teller, who knows me(kinda) told me they had a bunch of halves... I am thinking, OK, a few rolls, i'll take them... Then he procedes to tell me they have $8,500 worth somebody dropped off at their bank earlier in the week, I asked to see a few rolls, so he procedes to pull out a box of clearly searched repacked dumps, I know they were all from a CRH'er(who obviously doesn't know how to dump in moderation, and is ruining my pickup bank), so I politely denied them(I know, I know, always buy them all), but I don't have the dump banks or the money to go through them... they guy was fine with me denying them, and I placed an order for 4 boxes of dimes, since they won't order halves(even before this large dump)...

hh

p.s. If you're going to dump large amounts of coins, I suggest not dumping $8,500 worth of halves on one bank at one time, especialy rewrapped dumps..

Upvote 0
I'd say you got dumped on :(
Multiple times from sealed boxes that my bank ordered. If people continue to do this, and you order boxes from your bank, it'll happen to you too.. sooner or later.

Ever tried to make a lazy person work? I don't forsee rewraps stopping anytime soon, likely more will start doing it to take the easy path for them. Its a ME ME ME ME world out there.

New guy here...Can someone please explain to me why rewrapped MWR's is such bad etiquette?

If the banks require you bring them in loose in a bag, I take it you'd do so. If they require them to be rolled, what's wrong with reusing the rolls?

New guy here...Can someone please explain to me why rewrapped MWR's is such bad etiquette?

If the banks require you bring them in loose in a bag, I take it you'd do so. If they require them to be rolled, what's wrong with reusing the rolls?

Because sometimes the coin courier services get lazy and instead of unrolling and processing the coins to be re-boxed, they just insert the rewraps into a fresh box, seal it, and ship it back out without even verifying if the rolls are accurate. Rewrapping in the original wrappers just gives them the opportunity to do this.

Because sometimes the coin courier services get lazy and instead of unrolling and processing the coins to be re-boxed, they just insert the rewraps into a fresh box, seal it, and ship it back out without even verifying if the rolls are accurate. Rewrapping in the original wrappers just gives them the opportunity to do this.

Ah, thanks. So typically one way or another, local bank branches send out their coins to a coin courier/distributor for reboxing...

Exactly right! When you get sealed Brinks boxes that your bank ordered for you with all cut and taped rolls or end folded over rolls and sometimes they are all Loomis rolls or a mix of Loomis and Brinks, some time a couple of new, unopened brinks rolls thrown in to make a full box, you know someone is "lazin" on the job.
Just a big disappointment when you set down to do a box with anticipation, you cut the seal and open the box just to see that.

What got me upset was the fact that repackaged dumps were in a sealed brinks box... I've gotten a few dumps with broken seals but never a sealed box.

DISLIKE!!!

I didn't realize we had a dislike button. :)

I'm not saying it feels good to get the re-wrapped coins in a sealed box. But what is the difference between getting a skunk in re-wrapps or getting the exact same coins in new wrappers. I suppose it is just the hope or possibility. Don't blame the reroller (I currently re-wrap at least one box a week and put one or two through a coin counter). Many of us are just doing what is required in our area. I'm not offended, just making a point I guess. Happy hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

...what is the difference between getting a skunk in re-wrapps or getting the exact same coins in new wrappers

The difference is that if the coin service has loose coins, there's at least a chance of silver getting mixed in with the skunks as they're being run through the machine and rolled. A few weeks ago I was surprised to find a 40% in a MWR roll where literally 95% of the roll was marked coins - that is, the roll contained 19 marked coins and one 40%. However, the same week I also received a sealed Brinks box that had 50 re-wrapped rolls in it. While you still go through the re-wraps, it's really depressing because you KNOW somebody's already looked through them.

I'm not saying it feels good to get the re-wrapped coins in a sealed box. But what is the difference between getting a skunk in re-wrapps or getting the exact same coins in new wrappers. I suppose it is just the hope or possibility. Don't blame the reroller (I currently re-wrap at least one box a week and put one or two through a coin counter). Many of us are just doing what is required in our area. I'm not offended, just making a point I guess. Happy hunting.

No offence meant to you Zero, it's just that it only cost about $0.20 per box to buy new wrappers and when you do, the chance of them getting sent out to someone else is very slim. It may be different elsewhere but around here the banks open all my new wrapped rolls and put the coins in coinlok bags then send them out, so you know they will get "processed" properly.
I did the "cut and tape' method a couple of times when I first started out(I didn't have any new wrappers) but the banks were not impressed about it at all so stopped immediately.
HH

No offence meant to you Zero, it's just that it only cost about $0.20 per box to buy new wrappers and when you do, the chance of them getting sent out to someone else is very slim. It may be different elsewhere but around here the banks open all my new wrapped rolls and put the coins in coinlok bags then send them out, so you know they will get "processed" properly.
I did the "cut and tape' method a couple of times when I first started out(I didn't have any new wrappers) but the banks were not impressed about it at all so stopped immediately.
HH

I think I understand where you are coming from. One message that was lost in transit was the encouragement to use new customer wrappers. It comes across as "you people that are rolling coins" are causing us trouble.

About the cut and tape method...I tried it on a couple rolls but I kept damaging the coins...so I gave up on that technique quickly. Also, it does seem like the dump bank could get annoyed if the rolls are hard to open when dumping them into a coin lock bag.

May your next box be filled with freshly mwr with multiple benders!

HH

The part that gets me heated like a Model T without coolant is those jerks in my area and I'm sure all over that reroll and even reroll in the old wrappers despite the fact that the Greater Lansing Area has at least 20 freaking coin machines. One of the banks that used to already produce CWR with silver is now inundated with thousand of rolls this boob dropped off. . Hey Mr. DAVE wuit using coin wrappers and use a freaking coin machine!! I mean for freaking real dude.

I asked for a dislike button, but it is apparently against forum rules. The difference between re-rolls and other skunks is that you don't get the thrill of wondering what is in the box (unless you want errors).

And it takes the thrill out of the error hunt because you know you won't find any silver.
I asked for a dislike button, but it is apparently against forum rules. The difference between re-rolls and other skunks is that you don't get the thrill of wondering what is in the box (unless you want errors).

Nothing like finding error coins with cuts down the side of them or marks all over them from some genius.

Wow...the rerolling topic really hit a nerve. You all will be happy to know that I am using a coin counting machine now for most of my dumps except for one. For the one dump that I do rerolls, they make me put my name and phone number on the side of the wrapper. So, if you get my rewraps in a sealed box, text me your frustrations...it could be fun to found out how far they went. The only problem is that they probably unwrap them and put them in coinlock bags and I'm not into marking the halves...it just doesn't seem right.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back