Story of old german helmet in pics...not ended yet

Sand

May 20, 2005
Germany
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250; Minelab Explorer II
When I started to detect fields in nothern Bavaria about 9 months ago, the first field looked like somebody seeded it with that strange relics - I have never seen them before:

knopfe91.jpg

Some weeks later, such type of "buckles" turned to be usual find, too. And all these things were found on 1 field only.

buckles.jpg

Sometimes I dug small brass plates with 2 holes each. I tried to arrange them this way:

belt.jpg

Next step in understanding came from my friend, who put together 2 peaces:

close_principle.jpg

That "button" from the first photo, so-called "Knopf91" - should be attached to something - later I discovered that it is typical german type to connect belt and helmet.

Next find from that field was already not surprising for me - it is part of cap badge.

crown.jpg

About 2 months later the same friend brought me another part of cap badge, which he found, again, on that field. When I saw that crown is absent, I suggested that my crown and his badge were one peace some time ago. We checked it and they fit perfectly!

badge_crown.jpg

Here are the parts of helmet which I found until now.

all.jpg

And the last photo demonstrates how my helmet will look like when I find all missing parts and reconstruct it :)

Thanks for viewing and HH

Sand

Attachments

• pickel_bav2.jpg
    pickel_bav2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 481
Upvote 0

nahabit

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2006
Ну мужик ты меня удивляешь! обалденная находка! я тебе это говорб как самый рускоговорящий чел из всех :) каска правда я не знаю какого года но все же тема чувствуеься!

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds! Nice going. Tsgman

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Sand...thats a great goal to find the parts to the helmet...You have some really nice finds there and I always enjoy your posts! WTG

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sand, thanks for this post. :) It's great how you put the puzzle together with your friend. Now we can see what you're finding.

S

southbound

I am sure you will find the rest soon Sand!!! Keep searching and they will turn up. Can't wait to see it fully assembled.
Vern

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds!!! What was that again Nahabit??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread