What's new

Strange Eagle Claw Whatzit

p2c

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
1,363
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Hi all,
Any ideas appreciated. Place I found this saw heavy activity from 1890-1910, but was abandoned after that. I found this Eagle's claw clutching an (egg?). Rang up like a nickel, solid 12-13 on the Etrac. It looks like it would have been affixed to a rod or pole, hole is about the size of an 8mm dia dowel rod.

7:28:10C.webp
7:28:10d.webp
 

Attachments

  • 7:28:10C.webp
    7:28:10C.webp
    24.6 KB · Views: 370
  • 7:28:10d.webp
    7:28:10d.webp
    8.7 KB · Views: 373
It looks like the top to a walking cane. Nice finds, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
It looks like the top to a walking cane. Nice finds, Breezie

Thanks, that is what I am thinking it is, but I have never seen a walking cane up close and I think that the diameter of the rod would be a little small (8mm) for that purpose, unless it was not for support but for someone who was blind...
 
Upvote 0
Absolutely right Mike, plus people were shorter and smaller back during that time. Remember the CW stirrup that Garabaldi found, and he couldn't even get the toe of his tennis shoe in it.

Oh, and don't forget walking sticks made dandy little head knockers too! I'm wondering if his is silver? I'd like to see it cleaned and polished. ;D Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the information. I think it is silver plated. There is a base metal that looks kind of ugly porous gray underneath the top coat (places where the plate is crumbling off) and also the reverse side (not pictured) is missing a good portion of the metal. I will try to clean more, but I can't do anything to beautify where the silver is already gone.
 
Upvote 0
The way to clean an item that is gilded silver or gilded gold is with aluminum jelly. Check out my post in the "Cleaning and Preservation" section of the forum on How To Clean Buttons for more information.


Cool find!


-Buckleboy
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom