boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a possible way into the attic from the outside of your house? Maybe something that was later covered or isn't obvious without looking very carefully. Might do a little research into the whole year of the paper, for clues. Have you done any other refurbishing or remodeling in other parts of your house? Might be worth running a detector around the rest of the walls and ceilings. Never know what might be stashed in other parts of the attic or walls. Might want to check to see if there are places where a can could be hung down on a string between the wall, especially if there appears to have been additions or repairs. Looking around your yard might prove interesting also.

Since you own the house, the big hurdles don't apply ;D 1. Getting permission 2. raveling to the site 3.Running out of time to search ::)

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could there have been some paper money/other paper documents in the lining of the coat? I agree with the former poster who said not to throw anything like that away......at least for awhile, until more into can be gained.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hikeinmts said:
Could there have been some paper money/other paper documents in the lining of the coat? I agree with the former poster who said not to throw anything like that away......at least for awhile, until more into can be gained.

I have seen old coats from the 50's bring good money on e-bay!

GG~

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Anything is possible, same type of story near here where an elderly man worked his whole
life & never spent much. He passed on & the new owner was working to re-set a few blocks
in the foundation that were loose & found a cache of over $150,000 dollars behind the blocks.
Many that immigrated here & others , especially after the Depression had little trust in the banks.
Like Midas, maybe he was sneaking up there to count his money. Good luck.

Ramitt

Jul 24, 2007
Maybe he put it there when making a repair, just to confuse future owners. I have been known to do stuff like that. Leave a bottle or note in the wall. I am easily entertained.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
That is possible... An X Mafia boss lived in a very small town in Louisiana until his death. At that time, a black Hearst and several black Cadillacs with Illinois plates came down and took his body back to Chicago...

:sign13: I was just a boy at the time and it just hit me...I need to go back and check on his old house site... :thumbsup:

Gary66

Jul 30, 2009
Belle Vernon PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Bandido and Conquistador. Whites TR-Disc, Eagle 2 SL 90, Eagle Spectrum, XLT and M6. Garrett GTAx 1000pm, Garrett Pro Pointer. Compass XP-Pro. Fisher CZ-6A. Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and Sharpshooter.
He was one of the Original Ghost Hunters....lol

jeff456

Dec 15, 2008
I don't know if you have given this any thought, but if it looks difficult or unlikely that someone could get around in the attic maybe this stuff was left during consrtuction? Maybe before the roof was on someone sat there taking a break or something and then the remaining construction was completed leaving the stuff for you to find years later. We are in newer houses where walls are removed and all kinds of junk ends up inside the walls during construction.

Jeff

crow12c

Aug 8, 2009
well round here folks used old paper, clothes ect. ect. for inslation, stuff em in the drafty spots in attics basements ect.ect. folks be poor in these here hills...

K

Kentucky Kache

Seamuss said:
Jimmy Hoffa is actually alive and well living under an alias in small town USA.

Thanks. Now I have to find a new place to hide. >:(

-JH-

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Sorry this reply is so late, but really that odd chamber sounds more like a stop on the Underground Railroad to me if the house is old enough; a hiding place for fugitive slaves from before the civil war period. The recent (1957) newspaper could be a red herring, or perhaps a bum had a great place for a secret camp.

If you are still following this, I would love to hear what else you find, not just in that attic but with your metal detector around the house. Perhaps the house was a part of the underground railroad, if it is old enough.
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Hola amigo,
I don't want to sound like a history lesson, but the underground railroad didn't mean just getting out of Dixie, the runaway slaves had to get to Canada or Mexico. The states which were free still had laws which allowed pursuit and recapture of escaped slaves, which is why the underground railroad went all the way to Canada or Mexico.

Here is a map showing the (approximate) routes

underground_railroad.jpg

All of this would depend on how old that house is; if it is not older than the Civil War then clearly the hidden chamber could not be related to the runaway slaves. It could be something related to prohibition days too, a place to drink the illegal hooch without risk of being caught, or storing illegal booze that is being distributed. Likewise for the modern days, such a hidden chamber could be related to the illegal drug trade. It sounded interesting to me, hoping to hear an update.
Oroblanco

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Seamuss said:
Jimmy Hoffa is actually alive and well living under an alias in small town USA.

I've never heard anyone call a concrete slab an "alias" before........................

Diggem'

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread