diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How old is ths equipment? Do you have a model number? If WWII or Vietnam surplus I would say don't bother,too outdated not to mention heavy ;D. The military currently uses the AN/PSS-12 MINE DETECTOR. This detector came into use in the early '90's when components for mines became more plastic than metal.It replaced the AN/PSS-11 which was designed to be very sensitive for its time.Here's a little more info.-http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/an-pss-12.htm

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
my uncle detected with a ww2 surplus mine detector..he used to bring in lots of silver finds from the fairgrounds...other than that i have never heard of anyone else even using one............gldhntr

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
The current mine sweeper being used in the military is a pulse induction unit. I would love to have one. Good depth for larger targets. But remember you will have no target id and little to no discrimination.

ericwt

rovnrbl

May 26, 2003
After bugging my dad incessantly, he picked up a WWII surplus unit in the late 60s. Unit was heavy as heck - maybe 35 - 40# battery back pack. Wouldn't do squat on the beach. Couldn't detect a nickel on top of sand. We never tried it in the woods. Went to a Garrett, Metrotech and Heathkit from there - much better performance. I'd stick with the more commercial units unless, of course, you're looking for mines.

rovnrbl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread