What's new

Strange Half Dollar (matte finish) any ideas?

Ifyndit

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2007
Messages
255
Reaction score
43
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
I found this one last night. The coin is in AU condition but appears to have a matte finish on both the obverse and reverse. If you look closely with a loupe it looks almost sandblasted. Is this some type of error during the minting process? What do you all think?
 

Attachments

  • DSC01345.webp
    DSC01345.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 391
  • DSC01346.webp
    DSC01346.webp
    22.8 KB · Views: 378
  • DSC01347.webp
    DSC01347.webp
    33.1 KB · Views: 369
  • DSC01348.webp
    DSC01348.webp
    38.5 KB · Views: 373
Upvote 0
tumbled maybe?
 
If you let a coin soak too long in vinegar it will look like that also. Monty
 
Tumbled or acid washed. Either way it was probably done post circulated, not an error.

Jason
 
I was going to say vinegar washed. I also have a wierd half. It is not silver but it has veins. Seriously it has what look to be capilaries that run through the outer layer. I guess it would sound more correct if I said marbling. Anyone ever seen this? Is it worth anything?

-Golden Silver
 
I just came across a clad one with something like marbling. It looked like the silver layer was too thin when Kennedy's face was stamped on it. I looked at it for a few seconds then tossed it in the dump bag. Maybe I should of kept it.
 
TF, Yeah I think you probably should have. It is only 50 cents and it does not seem to be a common error. I kept mine hopefully it will be worth something.

-Golden Silver
 
i found a 67 Kennedy with a pink/purple color to it. It looks like a great coin otherwise. What would cause this discoloration?
 
I have found a few halves that look like that ... didnt think that they were anything good ??? so I tossed them back ...
 
Rich Hartford said:
i found a 67 Kennedy with a pink/purple color to it. It looks like a great coin otherwise. What would cause this discoloration?

It might be what they call rainbowing and on older coins is a desierd affect according to my coin shop guy.

Mojo
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom