What's new

Strange heavy metal bar with writing.

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
1,656
Reaction score
107
Golden Thread
0
Location
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
well the first thing that comes to mind is a printing plate, with the words backwards, however I have never found one this thick. Almost one inch.

not even sure what the metal is. Copper? rang up kind of like copper on the detector

it's not magnetic.

It's very heavy (sorry no scale)

I believe the letters are

R FINE
19 and then maybe 9 and a period.

found a 1811 large cent close by, however that may not mean anything as the area was used until 2000

Thanks for any ideas, I'm stumped
 

Attachments

  • web1.webp
    web1.webp
    51.1 KB · Views: 748
  • web2.webp
    web2.webp
    71.9 KB · Views: 725
  • web3.webp
    web3.webp
    19.6 KB · Views: 734
  • web4.webp
    web4.webp
    71.3 KB · Views: 763
  • web5.webp
    web5.webp
    34.4 KB · Views: 787
It very well could be a broken printer's block.

I am seeing the letters:

rfne

I don't see an "i" in those letters.

Any chance you could clean the item well, and post new photos? Maybe use chalk to highlight the letters?

I also think this could be brass.
 
Upvote 0
I agree with Clovis in that it looks like a printing block. Maybe you could clean it, and then ink it and do a printing. I've used acrylic can paint before to do inkings, and then washed it off immediately. Neat find, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Here is a pic of a bronze printing plate from 1890 - 1920. Very thick...

rarest%20antique%20engraving%20art%20works%20hoard%20lost%20koenig%20V2.jpg


I also see rfne on yours. :dontknow:

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
The problem I have with the printing plate idea is that the piece has no definition in the letters. Anything printed with it would just be a blob on a page. I have never seen a printing plate that was used/worn that much before it was tossed out.

My hunch is that this piece was broken off of a piece of machinery or similar, and the letters were either very worn or poorly cast to begin with.

Best wishes,


Buckles
 
Upvote 0
This is an inverted and mirrored view of your object.
 

Attachments

  • web1[1].webp
    web1[1].webp
    64.2 KB · Views: 581
Upvote 0
Have found small printing blocks of that looks like that exact size. A buddy just found a small one with a connestoga wagon and horses. They do come that small.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom