What's new

Strange rocks.....are they anything?

Lowryevans

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2013
Messages
88
Reaction score
94
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these rocks and a lot of others in a field overlooking the Ohio River that is filled with pieces of Indian pottery and pieces of mussel shells. I've also found a lot of flint and some arrowheads. Are they just plain rocks, or were they used for something? I am new to hunting Indian relics. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451769710.004707.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451769736.124882.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451769749.843379.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451769764.761946.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451769781.465196.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451769798.466531.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451769812.002186.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451769826.370720.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451769853.957573.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451769868.226986.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451769887.295555.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451769908.581623.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451769929.384599.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451769949.220604.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451769966.356437.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451769981.327710.webp
 
Upvote 0
Actual those are leaverites...leave-r-right where found...

but could be weapons if thrown...
 
Last edited:
Just rocks but would enjoy seeing the pottery and arrowheads your finding.
 
Ok thanks for the info. On the rocks. I wasn't sure if they were anything or not. Sounds like I should have left them in the field. Lol
 
Here are some pics of some of the artifacts my friend has pulled from the fieldsImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451776202.472142.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451776214.772383.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451776227.290492.webp
 
Are you finding any Beads of any kind? That looks like a typical Late Woodland/Ft Ancient site and you should find both Shell and Bone Beads. Also look for Bone Tools.

Look for pieces like you see here. If you finding Pottery, Triangle Points, and Mussel Shell all over you will find these types of artifacts if you look closely. Concentrate on the areas where the debris is the heaviest. That would be a Midden or Trash Pit and lots of good pieces come out of those.
 

Attachments

  • Feurt Site Collection (28).webp
    Feurt Site Collection (28).webp
    241.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Feurt Site Collection (47).webp
    Feurt Site Collection (47).webp
    53.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Awls08.webp
    Awls08.webp
    118.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Awls09.webp
    Awls09.webp
    148.9 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC_0006.webp
    DSC_0006.webp
    35.1 KB · Views: 95
I forgot to mention, I find stones just like those on the village sites I hunt too. They never show any use wear or altering in any way but they must have been brought there for something. Some have suggested fire rings but they hardly ever show any signs of being in or near fires. They are all natural stones though, that is for sure.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom