MetFreeman
Greenie
- #1
Thread Owner
At least I think that is the god it is supposed to be. And it looks very Zapotec.
So far the identification of the items (from here) is not going as well as I thought, but maybe, one day, somebody very knowledgeable will notice...
This statue/urn looks new to me. But again, this is not my field and I better make sure.
It is pretty normal reddish pottery clay. It does not exactly ring, but seems fired on higher temperature than the other pieces.
The whole thing is covered in some kind of hard slip. Now I know that originally they were putting some plastering on statues, but that was as a base for coloring, while here it rather looks like an attempt to make it look old.
One strange thing is some hard material I am unable to id in the gaps behind where the shoulder pads connect to the head. It does not really fill the gap, doesn't connect or strengthen anything, doesn't make it look better... no idea why it is there.
The mouth is pierced through into the tube.
So, I think it is new, but tell me your opinion. Even so, it is a really nice and skillful work.







So far the identification of the items (from here) is not going as well as I thought, but maybe, one day, somebody very knowledgeable will notice...
This statue/urn looks new to me. But again, this is not my field and I better make sure.
It is pretty normal reddish pottery clay. It does not exactly ring, but seems fired on higher temperature than the other pieces.
The whole thing is covered in some kind of hard slip. Now I know that originally they were putting some plastering on statues, but that was as a base for coloring, while here it rather looks like an attempt to make it look old.
One strange thing is some hard material I am unable to id in the gaps behind where the shoulder pads connect to the head. It does not really fill the gap, doesn't connect or strengthen anything, doesn't make it look better... no idea why it is there.
The mouth is pierced through into the tube.
So, I think it is new, but tell me your opinion. Even so, it is a really nice and skillful work.














