paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the weekend of good weather I tested out a bunch of new sites and revisited a couple of old ones. None of the sites produced a quantity of finds, but they more than made up for it in quality! The first day I visited a couple of new cellar holes. The first was too overgrown to swing around so I'll have to go back another time. The second was perfect, but had obviously been detected before, and actually they did a pretty good job on the clear ground. However they must not have wanted to crawl through the brambles and underbrush off to one side because I found a bunch of nice shallow signals there. Good thing I brought my pruning scissors! :laughing7:

The best find in the brush was a convex button that cleaned up to reveal this:

DSC09012.JPG DSC09013.JPG

An 1840's Rifleman's button! It seems the convex one-piece buttons are pretty rare since I couldn't find many photo's online and only a few mentions in the archives. There's no back mark and the shank is missing, but otherwise a pretty awesome button and a good start to the weekend!

DSC09008.JPG

One dandy button and the few odds and ends above are the rest of the finds from that site.

The next day I tried out a few more cellar holes. The first was overgrown, but also ended up being a trash pit. Lots of modern bottles, tires, and sheet iron so that's a bust. The second was more promising, but was also pretty well buried by brush. I did fight through some of it turning up a couple of tombacs and a pewter spoon bowl. And then after I pulled a sweet signal out of the ground, I realized I had finally found a silver cufflink!

DSC09019.JPG DSC09020.JPG

:tongue3: Yeah after two tombacs, not what I was expecting either. Must have been some more recent occupation of the site, but hey, silver is silver. Later I redid a front lawn in the center of town that I haven't done in a year. I figured I might have missed a penny or two, so when I hit on a deep high tone I was particularly surprised. It was precisely 97 on the Deus from all directions and I was so sure I had a silver half in the hole. Instead:

20190824_172856.jpg

Talk about a shock, this thing is huge! It's actually bigger than a half dollar and just shy of a silver dollar in diameter. It's also in pretty good shape for an 1854 copper.

DSC09015.JPG DSC09017.JPG

It's a Bank of Upper Canada one penny token and they also made a half-penny as well. They aren't rare, but it's an uncommon dig to be sure and certainly not what I was expecting to find. There were a couple of other coins too, but it seems I did a pretty good job on the lawn the first time around.

DSC09018.JPG

On Sunday I had very limited time so I just did a 1 hour revisit of another yard I've done before. Very low expectations, but I did manage a bucket-lister that's been evading me for a disturbingly long time:

DSC09022.JPG DSC09023.JPG

Finally a standing liberty quarter! I can't believe it took me four years to find one, but it was completely worth it. :laughing7: It helps that it's in great shape with a strong date. Overall a very successful weekend and definitely recheck your old sites. There's always something still hiding!

Upvote 19

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, Congrats! Agree that we need to go back to the old sites, especially right after it rains!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing if I just had one hunt like that in my lifetime aid be happy. Very well done. Tommy

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paleomaxx you did really well here thanks for telling us about it! With the magnitude of your finds I find it shocking that it took you til now to find a SLQ but that's the strange luck of the draw that is metal detecting. I have a few of them... but no bank tokens! What a cool find that large copper is! Congrats on all these finds and I greatly appreciate your posts always interesting!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Nice button, nice cuff link, nice Indian, Nice Stander, nice token, nice overall outing. That's awesome!

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Way to go! Nice variety and great saves.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a great collection of finds. The SLQ is sweet! Congrats

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ooh baby that’s a pretty SLQ. Congrats on all!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread