STRANGEST THING YOU EVER DUG, IN A PLACE YOU LEAST EXPECTED IT ?

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering, what is the strangest thing you found somewhere that you did not expect to find it or something, and what came out of your mouth was "WOW HOW DID THIS GET HERE" Example, I went to local schoolyard to dig modern pocket change and dug a civil war minie ball, but no other civil war items .. ? how did that get here ? Or you were in your neighbors yard and dug something completely unexpected .. omg how did this get here..
what stories do we have like that ?

A Civil War minie at a Revolutionary War battle site - happened twice in two different states. Post CW deer hunting I assume.

And a bottle pit in my best friend's farm field. Never found the house.

Last edited:
I found a Barber dime in the woodchips at a tot-lot. My only answer for how it got there was it had to be a show and tell item that got lost in the playground.

I found a Barber dime in the woodchips at a tot-lot. My only answer for how it got there was it had to be a show and tell item that got lost in the playground.
I have found a Rosie dime in a tot lot, assume its possible that they looked like regular dimes and were in pocket change but we can never know.

A Civil War minie at a Revolutionary War battle site - happened twice in two different states. Post CW deer hunting a assume.

And a bottle pit in my best friend's farm field. Never found the house.
Wow and nothing else to indicate there had ever been a house there ? nails or scrap metal or anything ?
I guise its possible that the dump site was on the perimeter of the property and may have been a long walk from the house.

I'm sure those who saw this were wondering what maybe I had found like this, and I'll tell you the story about years ago when I was in Spain hunting on a Roman site, (1990) these sites can be distinguished between Roman, or Spanish or Arabic, or a mix of two or three depending on what is found, But when you are clearly only digging Roman items and nothing else, it would appear that it had been abandoned long before more modern people came and used the site. That being said, we were digging early Roman coins, and out of the blue dug a 2 Real 1700s ?? but no other Spanish coins, (copper Spanish being very common but none here) We ended up finding I think 2-3 Silver Reals there, but absolutely nothing else Spanish, no buttons, buckles, tools, bells, NOTHING. So why would there be Spanish silver reals in a site that were clearly early Roman ?
My theory, after I hear what you guys think hahaha

I'll never forget this find. I was detecting in the woods near an old colonial cellar hole site. I was swingng the coil near the base of a large rock and I got a screaming signal. I kick some leaves aside and I can see where someone had laid some branches down. I remove the branches and see someone had dug a big hole and in the hole was big box shaped thing in one of those large contractor type plastic trash bags. By now I am looking over my shoulder and all around thinking this might be stolen goods or a drug stash. I make a small cut in the plastic bag with my knife and I can see the box is wrapped in aluminum foil. Now at this point I am sure I found someone's drug stash or maybe even bundles of cash! I am really nervous now and keep looking around. I pull the box out of the ground, it's pretty heavy, I am guessing 30 or 40 pounds. I'd be happy to find 40 lbs of $100 dollar bills. I take the foil covered box out of the bag, peel the foil away and see a box that shows it once contained one of those infrared cooking grills. I am super paranoid now but there is no stopping at this point. I open the box and inside it was nothing but a brand new infrared cooking grill !!!

Who the heck buries a brand new still in the box infrared cooking grill in the middle of the woods ????

I'll never forget this find. I was detecting in the woods near an old colonial cellar hole site. I was swingng the coil near the base of a large rock and I got a screaming signal. I kick some leaves aside and I can see where someone had laid some branches down. I remove the branches and see someone had dug a big hole and in the hole was big box shaped thing in one of those large contractor type plastic trash bags. By now I am looking over my shoulder and all around thinking this might be stolen goods or a drug stash. I make a small cut in the plastic bag with my knife and I can see the box is wrapped in aluminum foil. Now at this point I am sure I found someone's drug stash or maybe even bundles of cash! I am really nervous now and keep looking around. I pull the box out of the ground, it's pretty heavy, I am guessing 30 or 40 pounds. I'd be happy to find 40 lbs of $100 dollar bills. I take the foil covered box out of the bag, peel the foil away and see a box that shows it once contained one of those infrared cooking grills. I am super paranoid now but there is no stopping at this point. I open the box and inside it was nothing but a brand new infrared cooking grill !!!

Who the heck buries a brand new still in the box infrared cooking grill in the middle of the woods ????
Someone that wears a tinfoil hat maybe.:dontknow:

I'll tell you who buries something like that.... Someone who wanted you to have a brand new infrared cooking grill, that's who ... ha ha ha :laughing7:

I found this Railroad baggage tag in a tiny ghost town in British Columbia

Img_1906.jpg

A human skull next to a civil war cannon ball. In a battle area

Possibly a Prepper getting ready for the day.

When I found the skull We was on Private property . We showed the owner and he asked me to cover it back up and not say anything. He did not want all his land dug up. The guy that was with me went back later and dug up a cannon ball next to the skull he said. he told me he thought it was a cannon ball but wanted it for him self and not for me. We are STILL FRIENDS !!!

5 colonial copper spill in a 1950-60s boy scout camp
I know the history of this area - nothing was here 200 yrs before
so had to be from a hunter sitting or sleeping on this bluff that
over looks a great kill spot for deer

I've posted this before , not that odd of a find but the circumstances were off the chart.

Years ago I came down with a sinus infection and was prescribed prednisone for the swelling so I could breath.
Well having taken it be for I know it makes me very hard to be around ,everyone's a jerk but me when I'm on that crap.
so I get a doctors note to take a few days off to get past the infection and moodiness.

Well I didn't feel that bad, so off I went metal detecting at a place called the bloody angle in Spotsy.
I was walking a road bed detecting and had just dug a button back and looked around before standing back up like I always do before standing.
and felt a chill go up my spine as I see a group of union soldiers running across the road ,One of the men looked at me and motioned for me to run with them.

I got to my feet and ran to the spot I saw them last to look for foot prints or something to confirm what I had just seen.
when I get to the spot my machine is going off like crazy . again I look around as I get on my knees and start to dig bullet after bullet , my memory has lost track of the exact amount but it was around 50 bullets all in one hole. all 58 cal 3 ringers.

I do know prednisone can cause hallucinations but I've never known them to produce civil war bullets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back