What's new

strike error?

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2008
Messages
4,949
Reaction score
2,326
Golden Thread
0
Location
NorthWest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what do you think of this penny I found today? is it some kind of strike error?
 

Attachments

  • strike error.webp
    strike error.webp
    29 KB · Views: 331
Upvote 0
hello, what i can tell by the photo the letters and parts of lincoln's memorial building look to be imprinted into the surface of coin, hence i would say not a mint error but a home made vise type creation.
 
at first I thought someone may have pressured two pennies together, so I did a little experiment and put two pennies in a vise and squeezed the vise as tight as i could get it, then loosened it up and there was absolutely no mark on either penny?? so I don't think that is what happened
 
I'm not an expert by any means but to me it looks like an error.

Hope it's not homemade but cool either way!
 
Interesting coin damn hmmm it looks like a error to me but that doesnt mean anything ..... one of the experts on here will prolly give ya some feedback on it...
 
Could be- check the web for Ken Potter and see if he can shed some light on it. It may be worthy of sending in to ANACS for certifying.
 
As you have found out, a vise will not work. But on the other hand, take two pennies, place on a good solid cement floor on top of each other, then whack them with a hammer. I believe you will get close to the same results.

I believe if you send it in to be graded it will come back with a note stating it was damaged after it left the mint. If another cent got left in the press at the mint and was struck on top of it, there would be more details showing.

Happy Hunting,

Scott (MI)
 
The rim looks mistruck as well, I hope it is legit error. That is a cool coin.
 
Jeffro said:
Could be- check the web for Ken Potter and see if he can shed some light on it. It may be worthy of sending in to ANACS for certifying.
I emailed him and he said it looked fake to him, so whatever that means? Do I accept his answer as gospel?
 
Notice the N is reversed, If it was a true die strike error it would be in the correct position, Otherwise, all that has happened here is two cents smashed together.
On a true strike error all the letters will go the same way as they should on a normal coin, no reverse.
Also with the pressures involved it would not leave much of the first coin. it would be more like this.
 

Attachments

  • GOLDDOUBLESTRIKE.webp
    GOLDDOUBLESTRIKE.webp
    29.4 KB · Views: 250
Goes4ever said:
Jeffro said:
Could be- check the web for Ken Potter and see if he can shed some light on it. It may be worthy of sending in to ANACS for certifying.
I emailed him and he said it looked fake to him, so whatever that means? Do I accept his answer as gospel?

He's seen alot of errors and misstrikes over the years... :)
 
The impression is in reverse. Absolutely, without a doubt, it is from another penny lying on top of it. Had this happened at the mint, the coin would be, at the very least, more than just slightly deformed. This kind of thing happens when someone puts one coin atop another and strikes it with a heavy object such as a small sledge hammer.
 
jewelerdave said:
Notice the N is reversed, If it was a true die strike error it would be in the correct position, Otherwise, all that has happened here is two cents smashed together.
On a true strike error all the letters will go the same way as they should on a normal coin, no reverse.
Also with the pressures involved it would not leave much of the first coin. it would be more like this.
You making your own error's JD?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom