Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try to listen to the sounds ONLY rather then checking the read out screen..however, my stupid question is this... on the read out screen ( when you get a strong signal and I finally look at it.) and it says minus whatever number? do you dig those minus readings too.because sometimes it will finally say like iron.. or just the minus with numbers?... am curious as I so want to find a ring before winter sets in... and please dont laugh at me..sometimes being solo by yourself is a blessing and other times its.. well a pain in arse when your not sure about things at times...

example..I have gotten weak signals..low sounding signals..and said what the heck, dig it... most times the signal disappears after I dig..but other times..I find a coin.. so it was worth digging the low sounds too...

Gator01

Sep 24, 2007
Northeast LA
Detector(s) used
XL Pro
MXT
M6
F75SE
ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a M6,about a month old now. I find when the TID ids the target and its shallow,for example a nickel with TID of 20,you can bet its a nickel but as it gets deeper the ID isnt as accurate, and Im sure those that hunt in different environments the mineralzation has its curse on TID as well, Im lucky as I have very mild soil at most of the places Ive hunted.
The negative numbers as you know could be readings from a piece of jewelry. I dig a lot of those and have not yet found anthing really nice, I have found some junk rings,charms and those came in right around -10 to 5. I have to make up my mind if Im gonna dig these signals when I start my hunt (as Im sure you do as well as others) otherwise Im only hunting for coins.
I always hunt with 0 disc because I like to know whats down there,or what Im guessing is down there,lol. I like to hunt with my target ID tones (trigger forward)most times. I have found a couple coins right next to target that was giving a minus/negative number. I admit, I havent found any old coins,mostly clad.
The only thing I can say is what several have told me. Monte says dig those good signals. Billde advised me to dig those signals so you can learn. So I have dug em. And like you Ive dug some that never realized a target. I dug one today, the M6 told me the target was at 7 inches, when I reached about 10 inches and was still receiving the signal and the M6 was still telling me it was at 7 inches, I filled my hole back up,lol.
I know this doesnt help you much but I guess we are in the same boat as we have to learn.
I am curious about one thing as you have posted you were hunting a parking lot. Is the lot gravel? and what coil are you using?
HH
John

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Most of your gold rings will be +12 to +24 With most around 18 to 22. Silver rings are all the way up the scale. I have found that the negative numbers are always iron. The m6 knows it's iron. I dig anything that's zero on up. Most of my gold chains read zero. Set your disc at 9 o'clock. I really don't rely on the multi tones as a good target may be right on the line of two tones. You will get what appears to be a bad beep. Bing-bong etc. Then if you set it to single tone you'll get a nice bing-bing tone. I think 7 tones is a little busy. 3 or 4 tones would be perfect for me.

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gator, the parking lots are graveled..ugh..stones.. most of the coins were laying within sight, or just under the stones.. I did have to dig a lot of them out.. I had to get a screw driver to peel away the stones..what a work out that was.. and I betcha I pass alotta gold jewelry as I didnt know about the dang minuses... crap..

I was using the smaller coil in the parking lots the eclipse 5.3

and thank you too Khouse... what a damn idiot again I am.

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
I have an M6 as my main detector,I always go by the tones.I hunt in multi-tone,if the tone is good,I dig,regardless of the VDI.This especially true of deeper targets.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Bootybay,
On those very low beeps crank your sens all the way and sweep directly over that isolated target. Only make a short sweep like 4 inches. This will make those deep targets show their ugly heads. Get ready to dig some deep holes.

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
On the beach I dig everything picked up, in the woods or dirt fields etc, I dig +12 and up, I also use the visual and audio and if I get an iffy signal I cut the sens to max and cross the target a few times

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
khouse said:
Most of your gold rings will be +12 to +24 With most around 18 to 22. Silver rings are all the way up the scale. I have found that the negative numbers are always iron. The m6 knows it's iron. I dig anything that's zero on up. Most of my gold chains read zero. Set your disc at 9 o'clock. I really don't rely on the multi tones as a good target may be right on the line of two tones. You will get what appears to be a bad beep. Bing-bong etc. Then if you set it to single tone you'll get a nice bing-bing tone. I think 7 tones is a little busy. 3 or 4 tones would be perfect for me.

If you want to get gold chains and very small gold rings, you should dig any number that is positive.( 0 and above)
Agree on setting the Disc at where the line is at 9 o'clock. And turn the Sens as high as you can without the M6 chattering.
I use the 7 tones on mine most of the time, and, if you use it long enough you will be able to tell which tones are which items.
I have found, If you get multiple tones, that means there is more than 2 or 3 items very close together.Switch to the normal tone.. slow down your sweep and click the trigger switch, a few times, close to one of the signals , and you can get the item pinpointed better to dig it. Then go over the area again and do the same for each signal, until you got them all.

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well holey cow..after these posts I should be GOOD TO GO NOW... I thought I was losing my marbles ( but I do have them nearby in a jar on my desk, drop dead serious) weather permitting, I am heading out Hunting tomorrow with a whole new attitude...LOOK OUT OCEAN CITY... Here I come a hellin.

Thank you all... very very much... see, thats what I love about this site.. many pros will take the time to help a newbie... Thank you very very much...
Booty

ps the village idiot has left the building.. ;D

Gator01

Sep 24, 2007
Northeast LA
Detector(s) used
XL Pro
MXT
M6
F75SE
ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol, youre not the village idiot. Im learning to, was glad you asked that question.
And thanks for telling me what coils you were using. I have a 5.3 and use it most often.
Good luck with youre hunt.
John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread