What's new

Sunday hunt. Close call with a heart attack!

The Buzzard King

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2005
Messages
643
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
Location
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
Talk about gettin' the blood pumping!
I got out to the woods for a few hours again today, and made a very interesting find.
A small bank container of some sort. I don't know exactly what it is.
Whether it's a container from a bank, or someone's personal piggy-bank.
It's about 3 inches by about 4 1/2 inches in size.
And it looks like it had a slotted top for depositing coins into.
Any help on a positive I.D. would be greatly appreciated.
I found it about 12 inches deep, between 2 rocks.
BELIEVE ME, I CHECKED THE ENTIRE AREA, and found nothing else in the immediate vicinity! :'(
The number "45" on it makes me think it was something a store or bank used, and not a piggy-bank.
Also I found a 1918 Merc, very deep, like 9-10 inches, and a 1903 Injun, at only about 5 inches.
I found both coins before I found the bank thing. As well as a small handful of wheaties.
Thanks for lookin'. Happy Holidays! TBK.
 

Attachments

  • December 14th 2008 123.webp
    December 14th 2008 123.webp
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,750
  • December 14th 2008 131.webp
    December 14th 2008 131.webp
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,763
  • December 14th 08 002.webp
    December 14th 08 002.webp
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,755
  • December 14th 2008 140.webp
    December 14th 2008 140.webp
    55 KB · Views: 1,751
Upvote 0
Great finds! My heart would have been pumpin' away seeing that come up as well! Wonder if you could research about the bank - probably find out exactly what that was - congrats... :thumbsup:
 
Talk about a heart stopper! Wonder if it was a give away for new members?? ???
 
Wow, TBK, wouldn't it have been something to find that bank full of silver coins? ::) ::) ::)

Nice finds!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
 
that bank was an early version of a Christmas Club or a Savings Club. The bank gave it to you and the bank had the key. When it was full you took it to the bank and they
deposited it in your account. Looks like the slot has been pried open so the coins could be shaken out. Tell your friends you found some bank robbery loot and see who comes around sniffing to steal and who shows up kissing butt. siegfried schlagrule
 
Great finds. Like the tin.
 
Siegfried Schlagrule said:
that bank was an early version of a Christmas Club or a Savings Club. The bank gave it to you and the bank had the key. When it was full you took it to the bank and they
deposited it in your account. Looks like the slot has been pried open so the coins could be shaken out. Tell your friends you found some bank robbery loot and see who comes around sniffing to steal and who shows up kissing butt. siegfried schlagrule

Ah, thanks Siegfried! Your info is very helpfull.
Yes, it does seem like something that was meant to be filled, then deposited.
Now it makes you wonder where it was stolen from! (other than the bank).
 
Get ahold of the Lock Haven PA historical society and talk with them about it. Thats how I get info on these kind of things. Heck, they might want it for there local meuseum. 8)
 
An interesting find. The `18 Merc is in really nice shape for its age and the fact that it's been buried!
 
Here's what it USED to look like once.
It was called "The Portable Safe".
I guess they were used mostly in the 30's.
It was made by the "Automatic Recording Safe Co., Chicago, IL."
I wonder how many silver coins were in it when it was ripped open!

http://grobbel.org/photos/portable_safe.htm
 

Attachments

  • 100_0271_cropped.webp
    100_0271_cropped.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,044
  • 100_0272_cropped.webp
    100_0272_cropped.webp
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,057

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom