Sunray probe for Minelab EX2 Question.

rayray3

Jan 17, 2006
Northern WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab EX2, Ace 250, Garrett pinpointer
Hello.
Long time lurker, few time poster.
I bought my MD a few months ago and I cant get enough of it!!! It seems like every week I'm getting a new tool, or accessory for this hobby.

Just last week I bought the Sunray probe for my EX2 and have not used it yet but been played around with it.
From reading around on the net, I saw a tip where you want to move the probe with a fast speed as to read deeper. Ive proved that by doing an air test. You can get a few inches on it. My questions are.....

1. Do you bust out the probe every time you beep over an item or just use it when the "find" is being elusive?

2. Do you use the probe at the beach? I would think since its easy to get your finds with a sand scoop you could leave the Sunray probe in the car.

3. I bought a cover for the display of the MD but the SR probe box is not protected. Do you put covers over the SR probe box to or is it not necessary? Anyone try to protect the probe itself? Probe cover? Clear wrap? Shrink wrap?

One last thing. Thanks to everyone that has posted on here. I have learned so much reading post after post on here and hope maybe in a few months/years I will be able to post useful info for the next generation of MDers.

I'm in Yorktown, Virginia right now for a month and have weekends off and a few weekdays to go TH'ing. Anyone want to take a tenderfoot to find his first CW bullet, I'll buy lunch!
[email protected]

Upvote 0

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Gt, Minelab SD2200v2, Minelab ExlporerSE Pro 2
rayray3 said:
Hello.
Long time lurker, few time poster.
I bought my MD a few months ago and I cant get enough of it!!! It seems like every week I'm getting a new tool, or accessory for this hobby.

Just last week I bought the Sunray probe for my EX2 and have not used it yet but been played around with it.
From reading around on the net, I saw a tip where you want to move the probe with a fast speed as to read deeper. Ive proved that by doing an air test. You can get a few inches on it. My questions are.....

1. Do you bust out the probe every time you beep over an item or just use it when the "find" is being elusive?

2. Do you use the probe at the beach? I would think since its easy to get your finds with a sand scoop you could leave the Sunray probe in the car.

3. I bought a cover for the display of the MD but the SR probe box is not protected. Do you put covers over the SR probe box to or is it not necessary? Anyone try to protect the probe itself? Probe cover? Clear wrap? Shrink wrap?

One last thing. Thanks to everyone that has posted on here. I have learned so much reading post after post on here and hope maybe in a few months/years I will be able to post useful info for the next generation of MDers.

I'm in Yorktown, Virginia right now for a month and have weekends off and a few weekdays to go TH'ing. Anyone want to take a tenderfoot to find his first CW bullet, I'll buy lunch!
[email protected]

Ray
Forget lunch you pay for the gasoline and I will take you to look for your first CW bullet. I can be there in a few days. :'(

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
RRR,

your questions, my answers ;) ;D

1. I do not use it on every target most of the time.
At times I will swing the detector with one hand
and hold the probe and my digging tool in the other.
Just a habit. Also you can cover a lot of ground if your
working in the chips and are blind like I am.
2. Never used it at the beach; use a good scoop.
3. I have no cover, but if it starts with the rain I will
put on a sandwich bag, not sure if it does much good :P

Also, check out the table and chair leg rubber covers(they have
different sizes but one of the standarded sizes fit good. I
have one on the end of the probe, acts like a coil cover,
saves wear on the tip.

Enjoy that new toy ;D Hope my answers were helpful.

have a good un.................
SHERMANVILLE

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
RRR,

your questions, my answers ;) ;D

1. I do not use it on every target most of the time.
At times I will swing the detector with one hand
and hold the probe and my digging tool in the other.
Just a habit. Also you can cover a lot of ground if your
working in the chips and are blind like I am.
2. Never used it at the beach; use a good scoop.
3. I have no cover, but if it starts with the rain I will
put on a sandwich bag, not sure if it does much good :P

Also, check out the table and chair leg rubber covers(they have
different sizes but one of the standarded sizes fit good. I
have one on the end of the probe, acts like a coil cover,
saves wear on the tip.

Enjoy that new toy ;D Hope my answers were helpful.

have a good un.................
SHERMANVILLE

Or a rubber end for a cain?

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I pretty much use mine all the time. Helps old eyes Find things in the dirt & sand. I covered the slits for the speaker with duct tape and if it really rains hard-sandwich bag. Once you get used to pinpointing pretty good just cut the plug and stick it in the hole on pinpoint. If it isn't in the plug and you don't read it in the hole (it will go about 3 inches) dig another scoop and you should have it. I LOVE my X1

Clifford Powell

Nov 13, 2005
New Mexico
I also use an X-1 with the EXP II. I only use it when I have a hard time locating the target in the hole as sometimes happens with on-edge coins. I also switch the EXP to pinpoint mode as it narrows down the search even more plus I don't have to use a fast search swing when the hole is narrow. Also remember that just like your primary coil the X-1 will detect to the side of the probe.

I have never used it at the beach. I don't use a cover for it because it doesn't get banged on stuff like the primary coil.

HH

OP
OP
rayray3

rayray3

Jan 17, 2006
Northern WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab EX2, Ace 250, Garrett pinpointer
Thanks for the posts!!! I got some hot spots I'm going to try this weekend with it. I would like to try to shrink wrap the probe with clear plastic. Maybe even heat shrink for wire cables that are big enough. That would do the trick, i would just have to be careful on the heat.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use it everytime. I only dig deep targets and need to know where it is so I don't scratch it.

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
I put my S-1 probe on my GT. seemed to work good but only used a couple of times yesterday.

Shortround

Feb 28, 2007
Castlewood, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Sovereign GT Sunray S1 Probe
Got an S1 probe for my GT Friday. Put it on and took it ok this past weekend. You can not beat the efficiecy in finding those pull tabs!! :o ;) Actually, I found myself using it almost every time - unless the target was ontop of the ground. It actually has cut the size of my plugs down considerably and I found every signal I dug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions