What's new

Super Large Key

undertaker

Hero Member
Joined
May 26, 2006
Messages
562
Reaction score
337
Golden Thread
0
Location
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I purchased this large 7 1/2 inch long key with 3 inch wide handle today. I was told it was dug. Does anyone know what this key was made to unlock. Also does anyone know the approximate age. Can a key be dated by shape and size? Ive dug a couple of smaller keys in a 1890s dump while digging for bottles but they were never anywhere near this size.
 

Attachments

  • 004.webp
    004.webp
    25.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 033.webp
    033.webp
    24.6 KB · Views: 136
I'm thinking it's a jail key, although 7 1/2 inches could qualify for castle type (either door or gate.) Neat buy, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Hi UNDERTAKER,

Your key looks hand made. Maybe the maker had a lock but no key for it. When I had my locksmith shop open north of Milwaukee, a local kid about 12 years old, would hang around my shop. He collected locks and keys. His last name was Key, go figure. His dad was a business man and traveled the globe. From Mexico he brought his son very large padlocks and keys. Your key might be one of those kinds of keys. Good find.

TimC
 
Upvote 0
Jailers key............................maybe...................HH
 
Upvote 0
Its not actually a large key at 7.5 inches though still an excellent find. I love keys myself and the picture shows that they make an excellent wall display. Largest in the picture is twelve inches. The largest prison key I've seen is 18 inches long. Dating is extremely hard as designs were repeated many times over hundreds of years unless they are of ancient type ie Roman of which I've only two out of seventy key finds.keyssmallr.webp
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom