What's new

Supposed to be a civil war sword

Gare

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2012
Messages
13,421
Reaction score
30,266
Golden Thread
0
Location
Canton Ohio Area
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped at a friendly barber shop yesterday, One barber in there had a sword no sheath,. Hanging on the wall. claimed it was a real civil war sword. There was no sheath with it. On the sword was 1865 near the handle . There was also some funny marks stamped (3 of them) He told me this was a way the owner would mark how many people he had killed with it, he wants $800 for it . I am asking how i can identify it better ? PLEASE !!!!
 
I stopped at a friendly barber shop yesterday, One barber in there had a sword no sheath,. Hanging on the wall. claimed it was a real civil war sword. There was no sheath with it. On the sword was 1865 near the handle . There was also some funny marks stamped (3 of them) He told me this was a way the owner would mark how many people he had killed with it, he wants $800 for it . I am asking how i can identify it better ? PLEASE !!!!
Photos Gare.
 
Photos Gare.
Yes i thought about that after i left I will go back and get some in a couple days

Thanks ARC
 
Usually……things marked 1865 saw little to no action in the war. A model 1865 item could have been made until the 1870s for example. I’m not speaking specifically to swords, but items in general. Also, never heard of a sword receiving “kill marks”. Swords without the scabbard are worth less than with. Having no idea what type of sword this is (currently without pics) I’m going to say $800 is way high……my guess. Could be proven wrong.
 
Here are some quick snap shots

Sword1.webp
Sword2.webp
sword3.webp
sword5.webp
Sword6.webp
Sword7.webp
 
This similar example (with scabbard) described as 'Civil War' fetched $400 at auction in 2003 (K.C. Auction Company, Kansas City, Missouri):

sword 1.webp

sword 2.webp

sword 3.webp


A very nice Mansfield & Lamb sword. Lots of markings. The M&L mark is on the blade as well as "U.S." "C. E. W." "1865". On the handle is a big "C" stamped and "43". It is also stamped "C. E. W." at the very end of the handle as well. Measures 42 1/2" long in the scabbard and is in really excellent condition.
 
Thank you for your R C I real.l,y appreciate your input. Do you think the one i took picturerd of could be real ? If it is what value now ?
No scabbard
 
Thank you for your R C I real.l,y appreciate your input. Do you think the one i took picturerd of could be real ? If it is what value now ?
No scabbard

Everything in your pictures suggests it to be authentic. As @ncsuwolf says, although it will be 'of that era', it won't necessarily have seen action during the Civil War (and that's also true of the auction item). Also, as said, the absence of a scabbard significantly detracts from the value. What yours is worth now, I don't know. There will have been some appreciation of course, but not to $800.
 
Good luck with a positive I.D. Gare!
 
Gare, It's a model 1860 light cavalry saber. I agree with ncsuwolf, $800 is too much IMHO without scabbard. Also never heard of "kill marks" on swords.
 
Just found one sold at one of my old haunts in Gettysburg that went for $1450.00. That was stamped 1859 and was an Ames Mfg, Chicago. They also have one dated 1863 for sale, $700. Looking at their site, I'd say $300-400 without scabbard.
 
Just shared the pics with a buddy of mine who is very knowledgeable in this area. The stamps on the blade indicate CW inspection, however he agrees that with the 1865 date likely not used until after. There are issues (no scabbard, rust, wrapping on handle, etc). His guess is sub $200

Edit….failed to mention that he says the stamp in the brass on the handle is called a rack # (or something similar). This indicates it was stored at an armory, so that reinforces the “not used during the war(or perhaps at all)” theory.
 
Last edited:
Just shared the pics with a buddy of mine who is very knowledgeable in this area. The stamps on the blade indicate CW inspection, however he agrees that with the 1865 date likely not used until after. There are issues (no scabbard, rust, wrapping on handle, etc). His guess is sub $200
I agree... 250 max... Wall hanger.
 
From Worthpoint - Civil War time US Light Cavalry sword. This sword is made in 1865. Sword is used but in good condition. Its length without scabbard 41 inches or 104 cm. Length of blade 35 inches or 89 cm. Blade has a mark one side "U.S. C.E.W. 1865." Other side of blade has a mark "MANSFIELD & LAMB FORESTDALE R. I." Sword has wooden handles. Sword has metal guard. Guard is in good condition. Sword has original metal scabbard with two rings for belt connection. This sword is not only a weapon, but part of US military. $650.00 (and this one had much less rust near the hilt and on the blade. Handle was intact.

Hope this helps my friend!
 
I want to thank you all for your input !!! My feelings were he was asking to much. BUT I am not well versed on C W values . Especially swords This is such a GREAT SITE !!! I really appreciate all your input :)
 
Last edited:
I want to thank you all for your input !!! My feelings were he was asking to much. BUT I am not well versed on CWE values . Especially swords This is such a GREAT SITE !!! I really appreciate all your input :)
TreasureNet is #1 in member satisfaction.

Wait... :/.... not sure that is such a good slogan... :P
 
Just shared the pics with a buddy of mine who is very knowledgeable in this area. The stamps on the blade indicate CW inspection, however he agrees that with the 1865 date likely not used until after. There are issues (no scabbard, rust, wrapping on handle, etc). His guess is sub $200

Edit….failed to mention that he says the stamp in the brass on the handle is called a rack # (or something similar). This indicates it was stored at an armory, so that reinforces the “not used during the war(or perhaps at all)” theory.
NC I THANK you ALSO for your INPUT :) If you and the rest lived close to me I would take you all out to dinner :) It woukd be nice if you brought ARC along also
 
Very informative thread and what a nice group!
Can you imagine having one of these hanging on your belt? I think I would be tripping on it, banging it into things and clanking around.
 
Very informative thread and what a nice group!
Can you imagine having one of these hanging on your belt? I think I would be tripping on it, banging it into things and clanking around.
I don't need to imagine. I lived it. It does bang into things and can trip you if you're not careful.

My son and I from 2003, if I remember correctly.

2004-07-03 18-46-12_05.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom