What's new

Sure is UGLY

rock

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
14,751
Reaction score
8,933
Golden Thread
0
Location
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check this creek cobble out. Tell me what you think on it. Im thinking possible net weight due to it being ugly and nothing appears to be worked on it except some notches removed to tie it to something. Its 5 inches long and the notches are crudely done. Must of been needed in a hurry. Found in N GA
 

Attachments

  • SDC11072.webp
    SDC11072.webp
    655.2 KB · Views: 142
  • SDC11073.webp
    SDC11073.webp
    465.6 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Upvote 0
If it's an artifact, I'd say its a net sinker. Are you sure the notches are man's work?
 
it sure aint yer ordinary smooth river stone net weight...
 
I know they did have cobble axes here but I would guess it to be a net weight. The river isn't far from where I found it. But you guys are the experts not me. I have yet to find a ax or a net weight so Id like to know which one it might be. The notches are crude but uniform in shape to each other.
 
If it's an ax I'd say it was used up haha could b a sinker either way nice find boss ;)
 
this here is what i am used to seeing as a sinker

netsinker.jpg
 
Looks like petrified wood.
 
Interesting artifact. I'm just learning about some of the artifacts but I wonder how many I have stumbled over that were keepers? WTG, Quindy.
 
I did find a possible match. It could be called any of these 3.
Riverstone Axe
Pebble Axe
Cobble Axe
The 3 I have typed out have been found across the whole USA. It didnt show a age (darnit). It said that the axes where usedwith rocks that already had the shape and the cortex was not removed. That fits mine perfectly. But you never know it could be a normal rock I have no idea. Kinda large for a net weight being 5 inches long but who can say. I will take it to the next show. Thanks for your time, rock
 
Kinda reminds me of my X mother in law....lol.

Sure looks worked!
 
Kinda reminds me of my X mother in law....lol.

Sure looks worked!

I know the notches aren't natural. Im leaning towards net weight still. I doubt they would put allot of work into a weight. Its to small for a canoe weight unless they had more than 1 on the line.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom