surface silver; 1st silver of 2015, 3rd silver ever

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Searched an old 1954 back yard for two hours yesterday--six wheat pennies, but no silver. Went back to the same house today to search the front and side yards. I start at the front right. I start swinging, and see a coin on the surface even before I swing the coil over it. I reach down and pick it up. First coin of the day. To my great surprise, it's a 1957-D Roosevelt dime. Some of you are thinking to yourselves, "Big Whoop, Dude. It's just a silver dime. I find those every day." But here in Las Vegas, the city is so new, silver is hard to find. This is my third ever silver, and believe it or not, my last silver was also a Roosevelt dime, right on the surface. Makes me wonder if I even need a detector. I'll do just as well searching on my hands and knees.
IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0001.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 9

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Really nice to find two surface silver dimes! :icon_thumright: :notworthy: In four years detecting, I've only found 2 silver coins -- my first was a surface 1923 Peace silver dollar in an old city field, so keep scanning for those Las Vegas surface silvers - - you might find your silver dollar! Silver dollars were more popular west of the Mississippi than on East Coast, so your chances are good. My only other silver was a nicely black-toned Merc dime dug after much grumbling while detecting a junky little park full of trash signals & hard dirt, lol. Have Fun! :laughing7: Andi

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find.

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good one. I suspect water mixed with dirt or waterlogged soil let's a coin sink deeper. Where you are at I bet there is little rain so the old coins down sink as fast as here in the mid west.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Silver is hard to find. But is always welcomed when in the scoop. Congrats

sent from a sending device.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Every silver is a good silver. Congrats and good luck.

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Trust me, you're going to need the detector if you want to continue to find the silver rosies. LOL. Congrats on the 1957 and may you find many more.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
great silver and great year (at least for me). never argue with the easy stuff, especially after hacking and pounding thru hard packed clay and gravel to get a 65 clad dime! it is what it is and it ain't what it ain't. people are still losing the silver, just not like they did, mainly jewelry now

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This guy doesn't find silver everyday. Lol Took me forever to find my first silver dime ever last year.
Super good find in my book, Congrats!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Silver is always sweet to me no matter how many I find. Nice one and congrats!

L

l2hunt

silver is always cool to find, far a few for me as well. HH

OP
OP
S

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good one. I suspect water mixed with dirt or waterlogged soil let's a coin sink deeper. Where you are at I bet there is little rain so the old coins down sink as fast as here in the mid west.
Good point. I'm here in Las Vegas, but even though we get little rain, I've been searching old yards, so they should have been sprinkled on all those years by yard sprinklers.

OP
OP
S

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really nice to find two surface silver dimes! :icon_thumright: :notworthy: In four years detecting, I've only found 2 silver coins -- my first was a surface 1923 Peace silver dollar in an old city field, so keep scanning for those Las Vegas surface silvers - - you might find your silver dollar! Silver dollars were more popular west of the Mississippi than on East Coast, so your chances are good. My only other silver was a nicely black-toned Merc dime dug after much grumbling while detecting a junky little park full of trash signals & hard dirt, lol. Have Fun! :laughing7: Andi
A surface 1923 peace dollar. Now there's a find you don't see every day. I've heard that trashy parks are great places to find silver, but requires patience and tenacity.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have only been detecting for 2 years. Next month will start my 3rd and the hunt that gave me my first silver ( also a Rosie ) is still pretty fresh in my mind. I hope I never lose the feeling it gave me when I find a " lowly " silver dime. Those that have lost that feeling are making the hobby more than entertainment and are missing out on much. Big congrats on your silver...there are only so many to be found and each one makes it that less probable.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Making sure your not detecting in Arkansas. Yesterday I dug a 1957 silver rosy and got home and it was missing. My pouch has little drain holes in one of the pockets that are just big enough for a dime to squeeze through. Luckily I didn't walk to far and hopefully it isn't on the road that I crossed over. I will try and get back out there next week to re-find the thing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions