Surfmaster PI update

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys have been great with all your input and help. Went and picked up a battery holder from Radio Shack, it was to tight, I was able to push it in if I pushed really hard but it looked like it bowed the case. Not taking any chances cause that's where it seals on the "O" ring. Went on the "White's" website and ordered a new battery holder, new "O" ring and silica bag. Was able to air test it, seems okay, did it in the house. Tried my wedding ring and some coins. Didn't seem to work more than 6-7 inches away though, guess it will take some getting used to the controls. Can't wait to try it at the beach! I downloaded the manual. It says to put the silica bag directly on the circuit board. The drawing shows the circuit board exposed but mine has some type of cover. It looks like there are release tabs on the sides. I pried them a little but they didn't seem to budge?? Any help would be appreciated...Rich.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
richm

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cracked the mystery!! I have a Surfmaster PI "Plus", whatever that means. I think the plus is just a later version. I downloaded that manual and all the drawings match. They just changed the design of the case and put a cover on the circuit board. :tongue3:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PI's don't air test well. Trust me, once you hit the beach with it you will be digging targets at well over a foot. I was hitting washers at 16" last weekend.

Ozzygold

Jan 9, 2008
Australia
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites PI Surf
I have the same detector, you wont believe how deep it can go, I have found hairpins at 10 inches, dig all low tones and I hope you have a decent scoop, I often hit targets that take 3 or 4 scoops to retrieve, if there's jewelry out there, you will find it!

Attachments

• surfmaster pi 1.jpg
    surfmaster pi 1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 3,654

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've had my PI plus for a little over a year now and I really love it. I suspect but have never got confirmation that this has the shorter signal (at minimum position) to be more sensitive to gold.

Yes, it doesn't air test as good as it'll do in the sand.

I generally do the wet sand and many times right in the black sand. The on switch at minimum postion will give you the best chance for gold. This detector likes Silver (and IRON) a little more than gold but it'll find the gold and has for me.

Anything less than 6" deep will give a strong blasting signal. With experience you'll be able to recognize the "round" smallish signals signifying what you're looking for. A double blip will usually be a hairpin or nail ..BUT I've found that coins situated vertically (I dropped a quarter in the sand) also give the double blip so be aware. Keep the threshold at what's comfortable for you .. but the lower the better as long as you can hear it. The repeatable change in threshold will indicate the deepies.

Experience is the key here as it is with most detectors. I can generally tell coin differences by ear. Pennies being slightly louder than dimes and quarters very obvious. Aluminum pieces tend to get confusing however.

HH Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread