surprise silver, source unknown

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took up metal detecting April of 2014. Since then I've been hunting about five times a week. When I come home from a hunt I drop my finds, (mostly coins) into a cardboard box I keep under my bed. After accumulating over 2,000 coins, I decided it was time to buy a tumbler and clean up my coins and cash them in. I was picking some coins out of the tumbler, today, when I noticed a dime with a silver edge and some frosty silver-white showing through. It stuck out like a sore thumb because the other coins came out a metallic grey. It's a 1953-D silver Roosevelt, just my 4th silver ever. Problem is, I have no idea whatsoever where it came from. It appears to have been painted. Silvers have been few and far between for me, so I feel lucky to have found it.
IMG_0004.JPGIMG_0003.JPG

Upvote 12
Congrats on the silver! It's not paint, it's from minerals and water. Most silver comes out nice and pretty, a few come out black. I have found that the black ones typically come from areas that are wet most of the time.

Good save. That's not paint, but tarnish. I also found a surprise when going thru my coin pile from last year. A 1909 wheat cent I would have loved to known where it came from it was my first 1909. Your dime looks like it came from the water. Do you water hunt? Nevada is rather dry I thought.

great save, always like the surprises although I too would prefer to know when and where I found something

Perhaps you tossed it into the box thinking it was a clad dime? If now you have a silver dime fairy who left that for you. If you want to get that shiny again build yourself a mine electrolysis unit. Cheap and easy to make.

Nice save!

I've found a few war nickels and wheats in with my clad, always check the clad, you never know what could be hiding there!

You been whining all this time for not finding silver and you had been laying on top of it this whole time, lol.

I wonder if it was close to a fire, or had sat in charcoal for a long time. I dug my 3rd silver and it was dark and I didn't know it was silver until my father cleaned it up. I think it was a 1964 Rosy.

Good save. That's not paint, but tarnish. I also found a surprise when going thru my coin pile from last year. A 1909 wheat cent I would have loved to known where it came from it was my first 1909. Your dime looks like it came from the water. Do you water hunt? Nevada is rather dry I thought.
I've never water hunted, so maybe just a perpetually wet spot.

Nice silver find!

WOW!!! Good for YOU!!
Keep looking! (and don't wait)
LOL

Nice save tarnished our not. It will clean up but if you want to save it, don't tumble it anymore.

so u got a two for one deal, found it twice!

that's cool, now I bet youll check those "clad" coins a bit harder huh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back