flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I've had a few tough hunts today ... and I found myself questioning whether the EQ800 really had the depth or if I was giving in to the hype.

So I pulled out my CZ-21 and did a few air tests... the results were really surprising!

What I found was the following:

Auto tune on CZ-21 was FAR less sensitive on low id targets.. such as platinum or stainless rings/washers. These would give a max depth of 3-4" in autotune, but 10"+ in DISC 0. !?

On the EQ800, 10" - 12" was realistic for the same target with the DD coil.

Most targets were significantly deeper in DISC 0 vs autotune... and the EQ800 MATCHED that DISC depth within 1".

Heart breaking for me because I love the sound and simplicity of the CZ-21... but the Equinox is actually beating it in depth and providing a visual ID of the target.... I just have to give it to the equinox. BTW Sensitivity was 20 on the EQ800, and 8 on the CZ.

If I have one complaint it's that the equinox convinces me to dig the tiniest BS bits of foil thinking they are platinum engagement rings... oh well... guess I will have to adapt... the CZ may have just missed them. I will miss that buzzy solid sound of my CZ... but I won't miss digging 100 pull tabs and pennies which are a sold 14 and 20/21 on the EQ and easily ignored!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread