Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I’m that guy. I have an extra tensioner too. It’s 35 miles to a town with a parts store. I have never been towed by a commercial tow truck...
That sucks Bill, hope they find the serpent that made that defective belt!
SD it was a unbelievable experience.it sounded like I was dragging metal underneath..I pulled to the side and all clear..opened the hood and the belt looked like pieces of thread

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I’m that guy. I have an extra tensioner too. It’s 35 miles to a town with a parts store. I have never been towed by a commercial tow truck...
I’m just glad I was close to home as I was shortly going for a hour drive to bring presents..I can say get AAA it’s like a spare tire you don’t need it till you need it..well worth it

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to carry one in my old F250.
... Ford pickups require an extra firewall solenoid in glove box. I have had that go bad way more times than the belt...

Edit.. ever had a cat that liked to crawl into engine compartment to warm up? Than you somehow get back in and start before cat gets away? I have had that happen too, the belt gets thrown and tore and you have one less cat...

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to carry one in my old F250.
You needed to T.C., cause you were drivin a Ford. Haha, just kidding. Ford makes a good engine but can't make a transmission, Chevy makes a good transmission but can't make a good engine in my experience. Have a good Christmas.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes those pulley are not on straight but your EYES can't notice it either. The slow grind starts from uneven pulleys.... sometimes
Luckily there’s no engine damage due to me driving home when it failed.when I opened the hood the belt looked like spaghetti
The mechanic checked and could not know why it failed
With such low mileage it just seems odd
Take care

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always carried spare serpentine belt in my 91 chevy pick up. Just had to buy a tool to take the tension off the pulley so I could put the new belt on.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A big honkin screwdriver will work in a pinch,but the best tool is a old fashion tire spoon,before the machines they have today.
I can put air in tires or change a battery but I’ll leave the rest to the professionals

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You needed to T.C., cause you were drivin a Ford. Haha, just kidding. Ford makes a good engine but can't make a transmission, Chevy makes a good transmission but can't make a good engine in my experience. Have a good Christmas.
I'll have to disagree with you on two points. I had the 5.4 with two piece spark plugs. There was a class action lawsuit I was involved in. I paid over $1000 to have the plugs changed. FoMoCo sent me a check for $40. I sent it back. I was hoping they would send it back to me, because I was gonna tear it up and tell 'em to stuff every little piece where the sun don't shine! Three years later it developed a bad miss. I took it in and they showed me a video where two broken plugs were rolling around in the cylinders. $2000 for that fix. Took it home and drove it out on the highway to check it out. I couldn't keep it at a steady speed...loss of compression. Transmission was flawless. Traded it in and didn't look back...end of rant!
Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year to you and yours! God Bless!

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A big honkin screwdriver will work in a pinch,but the best tool is a old fashion tire spoon,before the machines they have today.
Believe it or not, Ford actually made it fairly simple to reinstall. 9/16" socket wrench and loosen the tensioner...it was spring loaded so that made it easy.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some times critters get under the cars and chew a few things up. I had a critter get un der the hood of my f350 and destroyed $1,800 dollar radiator !!! FDARN WOOD CHUCK at my barn

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1977 I bought a BRAND NEW GMC Diesel. in 1979 21 months later Defective BLOCK NOT COVERED BY WArrantyh !!! That was and IS the LAST GM PRODUCT I will OWN !!!

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1977 I bought a BRAND NEW GMC Diesel. in 1979 21 months later Defective BLOCK NOT COVERED BY WArrantyh !!! That was and IS the LAST GM PRODUCT I will OWN !!!
They should have covered that defect.
We have two Honda’s and never had any issues until now with that belt
I hope all is well

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They did not cover it less then 24 months old. They did not have the class action suits back then

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bought a Dodge V8 truck new and it started using oil around 30k miles. The head had been defective from the get go. They fixed it free & gave me a loaner truck too. I've been a Dodge guy ever since with good results.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s always something they say,,Went to get gas and the serpentine belt broke.Just turned 39000 miles
Called the towing service and it’s on it’s way for repairs
Sorry my friend. Sometimes it seems if not for bad luck, we would have no luck at all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread