SWITCHBLADE, LARGE CENT, CLEANING PROPERLY??

dirtfishingdave

May 2, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx3030,Fisher f75, Whites DFX with Sunray probe, Fisher gold bug 2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche hand shovel, Raven from Predator tools. Detectors I used to use: Minelab explorer se, Fisher f
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone,

I was out at local park that I think other detectorist forgot about or haven't searched it very well. I was using my ctx3030, ever since I bought this machine I don't even use my other detector my fisher f75. It just sits in my closet as my backup or if I am out with someone who doesn't have a md. At this park, my buddy dave using his minelab explorer se found an 1847 large cent, so I have been digging all those old ball numbers at this place. I got a 10-35 at 9 inches depth, at this depth of a hole, in my mind,I am thinking Indian Head penny, and probably not a zinc. After using my predator raven shovel and carefully removing a large plug of dirt, out comes this rusty Switchblade. I noticed that it has 2 controls on this knife, unfortunately I am not sure how to properly clean this. Does Anyone have any suggestions on how to properly clean this relic?? I want to preserve it considering I don't know how old it is or anything else about it. Thanks in advance, DFD

ForumRunner_20131010_082519.png

ForumRunner_20131010_082536.png

ForumRunner_20131010_082602.png

ForumRunner_20131010_082656.png

Upvote 3

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not bad! I think it's just a regular pocketknife. Switchblades were specifically designed for fast draw and are much more streamlined and pointed, with less bluntness. Soak it in apple cider vinegar for a week or so, flake off some of that rust, and then (if you have it) electrolysis on the blades.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not bad! I think it's just a regular pocketknife. Switchblades were specifically designed for fast draw and are much more streamlined and pointed, with less bluntness. Soak it in apple cider vinegar for a week or so, flake off some of that rust, and then (if you have it) electrolysis on the blades.

not all were pointy like comes to mind when you think of a 1950's movie thug. anyway, do a google image search for 'antique switchblade knife'. several come up that look very similar to this one. I think the controls on the side confirm it to in fact be a switchblade.

blademaker

Jul 29, 2013
Santa Fe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice old switchblade! Jeweleryguy is right, not all old switchblades are pointy. There were many that were made for utility and for womens sewing kits. There were even switchblades made for paratroopers. nice find, not sure if you can clean it up, and if you can there may not be much steel left.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cam...urce=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=hTRXUpnKNMONygGB74DYBg

The link is to a bunch of camillus switchblades.

Last edited:

blademaker

Jul 29, 2013
Santa Fe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ALso wanted to add that a lot of switchblades were made for people who had lost an arm or a hand.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
PrestoKnife014-1.jpg

looks like an old Presto...perhaps a Camillus...with a spear blade...
this one is a presto, with a saber blade.

are those bone scales? soak in mineral oil for a good while...should melt most of the gunk off...and not harm the scales or metal.
send it to me?

OP
OP
dirtfishingdave

dirtfishingdave

May 2, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx3030,Fisher f75, Whites DFX with Sunray probe, Fisher gold bug 2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche hand shovel, Raven from Predator tools. Detectors I used to use: Minelab explorer se, Fisher f
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Switchblade looks to have bone handles, unfortunately after it drying out from cleaning dirt off with water, rust is popping up the bone handles. I will try the mineral oil soaking and see if that helps.

ForumRunner_20131010_195359.png

ForumRunner_20131010_195422.png

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep........ it is definitely a switchblade. Congrats on it and the LC is awesome. :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread