What's new

Sword hand guard?

aquacoon

Greenie
Joined
Feb 2, 2012
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
low country
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are there any sword/relic experts out there..lol I found this detecting on family property not too long ago and I'm fairly certain it's a hand guard from a sword beyond that I am at the forums mercy. I do know this property has had activity all the way back to Colonial times. Sorry for the NARROW time frame. Any ideas out there as to what type of sword this was from? Thanks in advance.

Aquacoon
 

Attachments

  • 2012-02-17 15.23.53.webp
    2012-02-17 15.23.53.webp
    31.4 KB · Views: 571
  • 2012-02-17 15.23.53.webp
    2012-02-17 15.23.53.webp
    31.4 KB · Views: 483
  • 2012-02-17 16.11.06.webp
    2012-02-17 16.11.06.webp
    37.7 KB · Views: 515
  • 2012-02-17 15.21.31.webp
    2012-02-17 15.21.31.webp
    29.4 KB · Views: 495
Wish I knew where you live, found it. Location and time frame of course will tell a lot about it but then again, my bet is someone here will identify it. Best of luck, Shanegalang
 
Upvote 0
shanegalang said:
Wish I knew where you live, found it. Location and time frame of course will tell a lot about it but then again, my bet is someone here will identify it. Best of luck, Shanegalang
Sorry I am a newbie at this and not accustomed to mentioning locations. Low country SC I will get better with time.
Aquacoon
 
Upvote 0
It is off some type of blade
 
Upvote 0
I am not at "expert" level about about antique edged weapons... but I can say Kuger is correct, the object you found is part of the brass handguard from a fighting blade.

Because you very helpfully put it on a ruler in your photo to show us its exact size, there's a few more things I can tell you about it. The rectangular 1/2-inch-long hole in it (which held the blade's tang) indicates the blade was fairly narrow, not a very wide blade like a cutlass or broadsword.

Unfortunately, some of your bladeguard is missing, which makes ID-ing it as a dagger guard or a sword-guard difficult.

Being incomplete also complicates dating it. To my eye, its design has the "look" of dating from the 1700s-or-earlier to as late as the mid-1800s.

Hopefully, one of this forum's actual Experts on edged weapons will fill in the blanks for you ...and correct anything about it that I got wrong.
 
Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
I am not at "expert" level about about antique edged weapons... but I can say Kuger is correct, the object you found is part of the brass handguard from a fighting blade.

Because you very helpfully put it on a ruler in your photo to show us its exact size, there's a few more things I can tell you about it. The rectangular 1/2-inch-long hole in it (which held the blade's tang) indicates the blade was fairly narrow, not a very wide blade like a cutlass or broadsword.

Unfortunately, some of your bladeguard is missing, which makes ID-ing it as a dagger guard or a sword-guard difficult.

Being incomplete also complicates dating it. To my eye, its design has the "look" of dating from the 1700s-or-earlier to as late as the mid-1800s.

Hopefully, one of this forum's actual Experts on edged weapons will fill in the blanks for you ...and correct anything about it that I got wrong.
Thanks cannonballguy. I know that there is someone out there in Tnet that knows all about this piece. It's amazing how the guys and gals here can hit the nail right on the head. All I can do is wait and watch. Any suggestions for internet sites to check on this for myself? Thanks again & HH.
AQUACOON
 
Upvote 0
The best advice I can offer is to get a free membership annd post it on this website, you'll have an answer in a matter of days, if not hours.

www.swordforum.com

This is the greatest forum for edged weapons on the interenet. I posted a pommel that I had dug, and they were able to narrow the time frame, its country of origin, and even which companies might have imported it to the U.S.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
The best advice I can offer is to get a free membership annd post it on this website, you'll have an answer in a matter of days, if not hours.

www.swordforum.com

This is the greatest forum for edged weapons on the interenet. I posted a pommel that I had dug, and they were able to narrow the time frame, its country of origin, and even which companies might have imported it to the U.S.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy
Thanks buckleboy great advise. I am going to join tonight. Good luck in the cane fields. Do you use a GPS when you are investigating those large properties or just landmarks? HH

AQUACOON
 
Upvote 0
aquacoon said:
BuckleBoy said:
The best advice I can offer is to get a free membership annd post it on this website, you'll have an answer in a matter of days, if not hours.

www.swordforum.com

This is the greatest forum for edged weapons on the interenet. I posted a pommel that I had dug, and they were able to narrow the time frame, its country of origin, and even which companies might have imported it to the U.S.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy
Thanks buckleboy great advise. I am going to join tonight. Good luck in the cane fields. Do you use a GPS when you are investigating those large properties or just landmarks? HH

AQUACOON

No GPS, but rather we look for signs, use intuition, plot out the old French arpent measurements, look at historical property boundaries, etc. It is not easy to find sites on these large tracts.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom