What's new

Sword or farm tool

dts52

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2015
Messages
1,600
Reaction score
2,286
Golden Thread
0
Location
NW CT
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
IMG_2424 (1).webp

This was found in an area which has produced everything from ox shoes and square nails to yesterday's trash. 30&1/2 inches from tip to end of tang. Tang is 5&1/8 inches with two holes. First 14 inches of blade is sharpened. Any ideas? My wife thinks it is a farming tool, I'm hoping it is a military artifact. About 4" deep in what is now a hardwood forest but what was once a field. Thnaks,
HH
dts
 
Upvote 36
Why would you ask your wife? Haaaaa just kidding, it sure looks like a military sword to me. I think if I found it I would zapp it until I could see good metal to look for marks on the blade. I'm sure if it were military it would have some type of marks on it? Now of course I'm just a fat guy from Jersey and by no means an expert on swords, just saying what I would have done if I found it. And just for the record, (don't tell her I said it) I think your wife is wrong. (I'm not one to start trouble, but.......) is she a farmer? lol
 
Wow killer find.

I vote sword.
 
Another vote for sword
 
Agreed on sword, or sword bayonet. Simply a GREAT find, and one that should make a great memory for years to come.

Nicely done.
 
I have to agree with everyone, sword. Have never seen a farm tool that looks like that. Congratulations on your find.
 
Hard to tell, but the shape certainly doesn't look like any scythe blade to me. Very interesting and curious if you find out more.

John
 
Sword, found one very similar recently.
 
Add one more to the vote for sword. Is possible it could be homemade, but I think maybe some kids got ahold of a war relic and lost it outside. That would make much more sense to me.
 
That's a sword, for sure! The question is from when, where, and how??
Amazing recovery!
:treasurechest::occasion14::skullflag:
Maybe belonged to a soldier or some pirates!
 
Agreed~~~~~~ sword :skullflag:



CM Dawg
 
Nice Find. Definitely looks like a military blade to me.
 
Why would you ask your wife? Haaaaa just kidding, it sure looks like a military sword to me. I think if I found it I would zapp it until I could see good metal to look for marks on the blade. I'm sure if it were military it would have some type of marks on it? Now of course I'm just a fat guy from Jersey and by no means an expert on swords, just saying what I would have done if I found it. And just for the record, (don't tell her I said it) I think your wife is wrong. (I'm not one to start trouble, but.......) is she a farmer? lol

Nah.. She's a city girl, which explains why she knows it all. PLEASE do not tell her I said that! LOL
 
Thanks, all. I was hoping for some validation from the folks on the site. Suggestions on restoration?
HH
dts
 
Angle grinder? :laughing7:

Actually, looks like that would be a great candidate for electrolysis.
 
I'm no expert but it is shaped more like a sword than any tool I've ever seen
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom