Tales of stolen metal detectors....

If it can be seen, it can be stolen. I go out of my way to keep my MXT under cover. I usually keep it in my truck. I have a 4 door Dakota and the rear windows are tinted. My soft-side case is black on the bottom. So..it's bottom up on the floor and it's virtually invisible back there. Out of sight, out of mind. And add an old torn sweatshirt on top to finish it off. Looks like a pile of trash. The police armpatch on the dash (courtesy of a friend) keeps the crooks away too!

Had my Whites 5900 di Pro SL stolen from my truck in Seattle in 1989. Had only owned it a few months. Was just begining to learn the machine. Was starting to pull some nice older silver coins from some parks and school yards.
Had come home from camping. After carrying in four loads of gear decided to just get the rest in the morning. Truck was parked in the driveway. Went out in the morning and saw that the small vent window had been broken, they reached in and rolled down the big window enough to unlock the door. Tent, day pack full of gear and my detector were gone. Hit as many pawn shops as I could find for the next month.
I still have the soft sided carry case and the stock Blue Max coil that came with it. Don't ask me why because I have no answer.
Now the first thing I take out of my truck when I get home is the detector.

I keep mine in a tennis racket bag. Yes it fits in a tennis racket bag!

2 so far. 1st one in the 80's, had a 65 el camino with a shell, and left it in the back covered by a blanket in my driveway, next morning gone.
2nd one a momth ago, detecting in the city, car parked along the curb by side walk, hot day so i left the windows down so the heat wouldn't damage the detector while i hunted with the other one 30 yds away, thought i could keep an eye on it. Came back it was gone.

I'll likely have a sad tale to tell soon.
I left it in the back of my pickup truck the other day and went shopping. Was in the store for over an hour, luckily it was still there.
I usually keep it in the back of my cab 24/7, but down on the floor where its barely visible.
Got a top of the line alarm so hopefully I'll get a little notice if anyone tried to empty out my truck.

at the first competition hunt i attended I overheard a couple of people talking about how at the same hunt a year before (it is a competition hunt that is held every year)... a couple of people's detectors were stolen out of their vehicles. I went back to my vehicle & kept my detector with me the whole time I was there. ;)

I usually carry two detectors with me, one with the 4.5" coil and the other with the standaard searchcoil. My greatest fear is having one stolen while my attention is diverted at a dig site. I have a pickukp truck with an open bed but lock the backup detector up in the cab, down low ouit of sight. Then I try to keep a close watch on it and move it from time to time so that it will always be in view. As soon as I get home I lock it up in the house or garage. I usually keep them in the garage, but it gets hot in there in the summer and heat kills batteries. That's soemthing a lot of people don't know,. If you have battery operated power tools, keep them in the house because heat will destroy a rechargeable battery. JIM

Back in the late 80's I had a Fisher 1220-X with pro mount stolen out of My car. I was pretty heartbroke because at the time it was a fairly expensive machine. I bought another one but without the hip mount as I do get quite good depth with theat old fisher for some reason.
I bought a whites silver Eagle and used it for a couple of years and it was also stolen out of My garage.
I still had the 1220-x in a closet and it STILL works well and have been using it again recently even though it's almost 25 years old. That old machine still has good depth and is still functional and simple to operate. I am looking at several new models and will probably purchase one soon but i don't feel disadvantaged with that oild Fisher. I have found quite a bit of silver with it and a few gold rings in the last year. Thank goodness I kept the Fisher 1220 for a backup or i would be out of luck for awhile.
Maverick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back