Talking to oneself while detecting alone

Not only do I talk to myself, I also argue with myself......I usually lose that argument too LMAO

Why should I talk to myself when there are rocks, trees and birds all around. Never argue with an acorn.

I am not talking to myself.

I am having a discussion with my detector.

Talking to oneself is perfectly normal. For many of us, verbalizing what we are doing helps do the task with fewer issues. One of my children, who has a degree in psychology, agrees that it is normal, and that in many societies, men do it far more frequently than women. Perhaps it is a desire for conversation. Perhaps it is organizing thoughts. If, indeed, men do this more often than women, it would make a lot of sense.

I have noted, however, that without modern electronics, having a three or four way conversation with no one else around could be a sign of mental instability.

Time for more coffee.

I do, but its mostly the same line all the time. "Come on baby, I need a silver" !!

I used to have a job that required me to spend many, many hours alone in the car. Talking to myself and the radio was my tonic for staying awake. I catch myself doing it now whenever I am alone. On the other hand, maybe I am just nuts?
Sounds like DICK TRACY on a stake out in an empty parking lot

Im guessing that sounds I make out detecting people would pry think I have trets syndrome, its usually one random swear word every now and then...lol

And if you get lost just start talking politics to yourself and someone will come argue with you!
Jon 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

yeah and not just while detecting....I also talk to/swear at inanimate objects

Me too.

I talk to and swear at my padded room every day!

:)

Cheers.
-DH-

Okay! I admit it! I do talk to myself when detecting ( and other times, too). But I have to have and intelligent conversation sometimes! :laughing7:

One of my children, who has a degree in psychology, agrees that it is normal, and that in many societies, men do it far more frequently than women. Perhaps it is a desire for conversation. Perhaps it is organizing thoughts. If, indeed, men do this more often than women, it would make a lot of sense.
Its just the only time we can get a word in edgewise.

Yes...

I whistle Dixie, Bonnie Blue Flag, Battle Cry of Freedom etc. a lot too.

It's when I start arguing with myself that it gets out of hand. :laughing7:

Im guessing that sounds I make out detecting people would pry think I have trets syndrome, its usually one random swear word every now and then...lol

I walked into a bramble/briar patch at DIV XLIV last year, in short sleeves. I acquired trets instantly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back